• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

EoS Salsa Cookout... Got Tips?

Hey guys!!! For those that don`t know me already this is my first season growing on a large scale. I have about 13 different pepper varieties, all planted at the same time and some have started producing while others have a slightly longer maturation period.

Well, recently I was able to pull some Carribean Red Hots off my plant and made a salsa with those, some of my hungarian hot wax, black pearl, some fresh tomatoes I picked and a couple serrano peppers I bought from the store.

It made this beautiful salsa that really highlighted the flavor profile of the carribean and black pearl with fruity and spicy goodness. My friend and I decided we want to do an End of Season Cookout now where we do a similar salsa and feature each one of my super hots per salsa.. line it all up with some spanish dishes and let the family and friends go crazy.. See who can handle the heat and all that haha.

Im doing my own research, but have gotten some great answers from the community on here... So Im asking!! lol... See my problem is some vegetables are ripe now and others will be ripe later and I want to use them all at the same time for salsa.

So keeping in mind that its for salsa.. and keeping in mind this salsa is supposed to feature the super hots... what are YOUR best suggestions for me to keep the flavore of the stuff that`s ripe now.... should I freeze them.. pickle them... dehydrate the re-hydrate later..?!?

Haha what do you guys think? And if you read all this you are amazingggg!!!

Also, if you HAVE any salsa recipes youd like to bless me with I am ALL eyes!!! Id say all ears but like... we probably wouldnt actually be talking... haha.

I believe the literal translation of SALSA is SAUCE.   So what is a "sauce"?  Could be a Tabasco or Tapatio hot sauce, a salad dressing, meat gravy, cream gravy, pico-style fresh,  alfredo-esque, (mole???), fruit jam/jelly, ...technically they would all fall under the term salsa/sauce.  Makes it interesting for discussions.  :cool:

The HuffPost link looks delish.  Interesting that it calls for a canned chipotle pepper, which is usually in adobo sauce. 

and at ~shag~,  maybe the plant you purchased as a chipotle was a regular jalapeno that would become a chipotle after being grown out to red and smoke dried???    I'm just looking for the bright side of that story  :shrug:  

Good Luck and Have FUN!!!  
:lol:

:lol: The derail queen is trying hard for the 2017 crown! :lol: Next time you ask me for chips and salsa, I'm going to give you some Smucker's jam and poker chips.

The Hot Pepper said:
He's an example of a salsa from dried chiles, they are not always oily, this one is supposed to be, has great flavor. Anyhoo thought you might want to check it out.

http://smarterfitter.com/salsa-macha/

When you delve into the world of salsa, you'll realize using tomatoes is more of an American thing. Most Mexican salsas are peppers and smooth not chunky, pico de gallo has tomatoes, jalapenos, onion, cilantro, lime juice, and what we call salsa is based on that.
Nice Pooks...bookmarked to make later in season.

The Hot Pepper said:
:lol: The derail queen is trying hard for the 2017 crown! :lol: Next time you ask me for chips and salsa, I'm going to give you some Smucker's jam and poker chips.

:lol: trust me, when there is occasion for you and I to be at the same party needing chips and salsa....you can bring the chips...I'll bring the salsa!!!! You can use those poker chips to dip away! :lol:

Back