• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Escoveitch......................hooked ?

It's that time of the year to process the goods. When it comes to the point of having an over abundent amount of Scotch Bonnets the ideas tend to turn...

Most of you do what I've done this year and many times in the past...Bottle up cases woozies of Bonnet sauce, dehydrate the pods and grind for powder, or,  process and quart up jars of "Jerk" paste..............something starting to smell..sound fishy ?

Here's some ingredients:  Shallots, Onions, Garlic, Thyme, Jamaican Allspice, White Pepper, Scotch Bonnet Peppers, Carrots, Black Sea Salt, Premium Cane Vinegar, and Citric Acid. 

Finely slice the Scotch Bonnets, Garlic, Carrots, Shallots and Onions.....in the mean time sterilize 15 to 18 1/2 pt canning jars, bring 1 liter of Cane Vinegar and equal amount of water to a boil in a non reactive stock pot, the reduce to a low simmer

Add to the bottom of each heated  jar 1/4 tsp of Citric Acid, Salt, Thyme, 6 Allspice Berries and 6 White Peppercorns. Layer each jar with equal amounts of Galic, Carrots, Onions, Shallots, and top it off with Scotch Bonnets. Fill each jar one at a time with enough brining liquid to cover the veg and leave a 1/4" head space at the top. Use a skewer to remove any air pockets within the middle and sides of the jars. Seal with clean lids and retaining rings.

I cold packed the veg in the jars. So in order to come up with a tender crisp mix I used a pressure canner rather than a water bath with a hot pack. Twenty- five minutes at 11 lbs pressure.

The finished product........ "Escoveitch"................."Whaddya do with it ?"...........Don't get yorselves in a pickle, here's a couple of ideas...

"Maui Ceviche..........Bruschetta style....Top it off with pickled heat.....always a treat with a cold one !...........OR...

One of my favorites, top off that fried Grouper sandwich with the works out of the bottle.....and add some fresh made potato chips !
If you have extra Bonnets. or Habaneros give this one a try...

Greg:  very nice.  Although I have to say that I have a real soft spot for your Scotch Bonnet sauce - not sure how you can do any better!

Back