• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Essegi 2017: at bare minimum

Hi all!
I've decided to open my glog that year too... I wasn't sure to open it since it will be an humble one, not many peppers, just the ones needed...
All seed from Semillas.

I've started 10 Rocoto Cap 363 on 1st january, because i managed to lose one, after a 2 days soak. Today i have my first sprout!
Other seeds i have to start (about 11 per type): 7pod primo orange, Avenir, Serrano and Zuzqua (whatever that is). I guess i start first and second on next weekend and the others in the first february weekend.

That's pretty much all for now, photos when there's something interesting to see.
I guess that year i'll post some pics of mountains and still some of pizza.

Now i go to hang my light, earlier than expected, i thought CAP 363 would have taken longer! :D

So... All on ground!
Planted yesterday except CAP363 #2 and #3 today.

From right to left: 2x Primo Orange, 2x Avenir, 2x Serrano, 2x Zuzqua
i6c36Q.jpg

Same plants from a specular angle:
229Ns6.jpg

Now they have some shade on noon afternoon, on longest days they should be always in sun except late evening.

CAP363  #1
Bmh4KQ.jpg

This is the one with pods.
This in front of home facing east... It'll take sun in morning and early afternoon. I just hope rose don't grow too much!

The usual pod:
kP4qIq.jpg

2nd pod:
wHrVtC.jpg

Maybe it's setting others...

CAP363 #2 and #3
Yeah, i got lazy and put all on ground, no pots...
nXuAbz.jpg

fp5vEQ.jpg

5Bi3BE.jpg

I hope the position is good... They're on front of other peppers, in west-nortwest side of the house. They should have some shade around noon and on late evening even on longest days... We'll see.

Now those rocoto are better to grow a bit in height!

Last giveaway for a relative:
OGrnTm.jpg

From left: Avenir, Serrano, Primo Orange.
That Avenir is small, at least healthy...
I guess that will be a nice array of heat!

Devv said:
Very nice Giancarlo. I'm happy for you, that you have all this beautiful countryside to explore. That's the only thing I miss about Virginia, hiking in the mountains; such a nice escape ;)
Well, Texas too don't seem bad at all for hiking too! :D

stickman said:
I'm happy spring has come for you Giancarlo, but a little jealous too. Just gotta soldier on 'til it finally gets here. Nice pics of your fruit trees and the (so far) lone C. Pubiscens pod. +1 on Scott's comments of the scenic places you've pictured... your corner of Italy has some ruggedly beautiful areas! :)
I've read on your glog, snow and low temps... Keep strong!

PaulG said:
Makes me yearn to get out in the mountains!  Great pic, Giancarlo, and kudos   :clap:
for getting into the advanced hiking class.
Thanks! Can't wait for the course to start, i'm planning some via ferrata hiking that it should be a nice training for mountaineering next year if all goes well.

tsurrie said:
Nice places you've been too Giancarlo.... and the figs and apricots already... that's great!
Thanks! Fig plants growh is awesome. Apricots are young and i'm glad they are doing something.

Glad to see you have them in the dirt! Now I'm wishing you great success ;)

Texas has some really nice places to hike, but none very close to where I live. Once I retire, which is less than 3 years (yay!). I'll have the time to travel a bit. It's rather flat where I live, and semi desert. So a winter sport for sure ;)

Thanks all!

So, some pods are coming.
CAP363 #1
sn53I3.jpg

Pod 2.
What? Yesterday that was fine. And it was growing nicely. At least bigger Pod 1 is still fine.

a7ZXMU.jpg

Pod 3

CAP363 #2 is setting too...
a9xcWY.jpg

CAP363 #3 maybe is setting something too...

Also Primo Orange #1 has a couple of pods!
nhYAv7.jpg

jfRawm.jpg

Other stuff:
CMLhmi.jpg

CAP363 #2 and #3 on right, then some zucchini, tomatoes and bell peppers.

I'm not cooking much lately but i had that at restaurant:
RubuMz.jpg

Grilled cuttlefish and polenta. Great!

I went to walk to my hills since weather isn't stable these days...
Now it's late for most of flowers but i found something interesting.
First that nice Judas Tree:
9K0zws.jpg

Then i found a spot full of peonia officinalis:
iYeJMo.jpg

qEeOx3.jpg

Devv said:
Texas has some really nice places to hike, but none very close to where I live. Once I retire, which is less than 3 years (yay!). I'll have the time to travel a bit. It's rather flat where I live, and semi desert. So a winter sport for sure ;)
I suspected that... The problem is that Texas alone is twice Italy. Here we have regions and within a day you can travel everywhere one of that... In US all is in bigger scale and you have states! :D

Datil said:
Looking great Giancarlo!
I will probably plant in the ground in the easter weekend :)
My planting space is similar, near a hedge... plants seem to love it my only problem is cutting the hedge without messing the peppers :D
Next week here seems that minimin will be low... I hope week minimum not below 5°C...

You planted the rocotos directly into the soil. Did you plant some in pots as well?
How are your experiences?
Thanks!

Cadis said:
You planted the rocotos directly into the soil. Did you plant some in pots as well?
How are your experiences?
Thanks!
Hello, that year just soil,first time with rocotos.
Only rocoto i had was Locato last year. It was on pot and produced nicely, it was dying on summer and i didn't kept it.
Also i had a Red Rocoto 3 or 4 years ago, on a pot. It grew well but produced nothing. I did something wrong after overwintering and it died.

stickman said:
Everything's bustin' out for you Giancarlo... It's good to see somebody who's getting full-blown spring weather and Pubiscens pods to boot! Cuttlefish and Polenta looked tasty. Was that gremolata I saw on top?
Thanks Rick! Yeah, that was a gremolada, nice catch!

Thnaks!

Not much progress here... Since i put all on ground weather has been cold and rainy... I hope on next week things change.

ZsbAN2.jpg

Chinense then annuum + Lupin...
Something is making all that holes in the leaves... Not much growth that month.

sQ0UiC.jpg

First one is a primo orange that is setting some pods, other chinense or annuum stil have to. Others are CAP 363. They aren't setting much pods.

On the other hand hiking has been more interesting...

First, a travel to cima Palon:

EMWXFi.jpg

Even if those mountains aren't that high (cima Palon is 2239m) they are really beautiful.

Here some memorial shelves:
tVVXip.jpg

After the hike a well deserverd sandwich with lard and some beer:
brjGww.jpg

Then i took a trip to Sorapis lake... There was more snow than i thought.
Mountain scenery is great in those places.

EG7pJp.jpg

Ok, probably the lake is cooler on summer that has an unreal blue colour, still that place is magic. The mountain on background is called "Dito di Dio" (Finger of God).

The lake itself is surrounded by mountains and sometimes i've heard the term Sorapis circus.

From left, to right:
JWxGuR.jpg

Here some scenery during the walk:
j2uPgy.jpg

Reminds me of the mountains I hike in here in Oregon.  Really beautiful,
Giancarlo.  Your plants will shape up when the weather gets better.  Holes
are probably slugs or snails.  A little slug and snail bait and some NEEM oil
in case off insects should help with that.  IN the meantime, I'd just cut off
the yellow leaves and the leaves touching the ground.

I'm in awe of the beauty Giancarlo! Simply amazing sites! That heritage site with the memorials is so special; my Mom grew up in Germany during the war. What a terrible time for all. She's told me some real scary stories from way back when; and she never shared them until she was in her late 70's.

Glad to see the gals in the dirt; and pods!

Good work here! ;)

Yesterday i thought that it would have been a good day since it was hotter. Then came the hail. Not that it rained big chunck of ice, but, stil...
So today, with some concern i checked stuff:

cXJEI9.jpg

And now there's colour! Maybe i'm eating a ripe CAP363 soon!

Also Zuzqua is setting pods:

nolufW.jpg

95mrPV.jpg

Those seems also the most affected plants by the hail.

Now some fruit:

4BEMT3.jpg

Plums

Eqx4Xy.jpg

Figs
E8qDHG.jpg

Vitillo apricot

QppDIM.jpg

Reale d'Imola apricot...

And about apricot... I've read somewhere a report about various apricots varieties... To summarize it seemed that the worst a quality looks the better it taste... In my case i can say that this works... Vitillo looks bigger and better but they're no match for Reale d'Imola for taste.

moruga welder said:
gorgeous !
Thanks!

PaulG said:
Reminds me of the mountains I hike in here in Oregon.  Really beautiful,
Giancarlo.  Your plants will shape up when the weather gets better.  Holes
are probably slugs or snails.  A little slug and snail bait and some NEEM oil
in case off insects should help with that.  IN the meantime, I'd just cut off
the yellow leaves and the leaves touching the ground.
Thanks, i did as you say for the leaves and you are right, snails almost for sure.

Devv said:
I'm in awe of the beauty Giancarlo! Simply amazing sites! That heritage site with the memorials is so special; my Mom grew up in Germany during the war. What a terrible time for all. She's told me some real scary stories from way back when; and she never shared them until she was in her late 70's.

Glad to see the gals in the dirt; and pods!

Good work here! ;)
Thanks! No jokes those years...

Datil said:

I hear ya... i've delayed peppers plant out 'til yesterday and it was a smart move, my toms almost died but are recovering nicely :)
I'm sure all your plants will rebound shortly!
Nice mountain shots!
Thanks, considering all i shoul have planted stuff 1 or 2 weeks earlier or have waited more... Btw from yesterday seems hotter.

stickman said:
It's been pretty cold here too Giancarlo... hopefully it'll warm up for us soon. +1 on #75, just gorgeous... and the scenery isn't bad either. ;) :P
Thanks, weather now should just improve.

Back