• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense "Essential" Scotch Bonnets?...Faria?

I've been watching some sauce making videos at www.youtube.com/user/caribbeanpot/videos. Just looking at the ingredients, I know I would love these sauces. The Mango Honey Mustard sauce recipe really has my interest. Anyway, I have the following Scotch Bonnets.

Red
Yellow
Faria

Any info on the Faria, as compared with what I already have? Any other "essential" Scotch Bonnets that I don't have? I will also place an order with Judy for Tobago Treasure, and Seasoning.

At the moment I purely grow Scotch Bonnets and Jamacian Hot Chocolates(next year MORE types). The SB's were what got me involved with hotter peppers in the 1st place. The mango and SB's is a great combo. I started to make a sauce and ended up using it for a marinade for pork and chicken, which I thought turned out great.
The SB's blend well with "fruit" sauces in my opinion as they have a slight fruitiness themselves. My JHC's add a slight smokey flavor with equally tummy heating warmness. I have the above mentioned receipe if you are interested, not sure if this is right place to post it....but I can post a image :P You can see the bits of SB's in the jars.
Goodluck with your choice !

caribhotsauc1st.jpg

Very nice and I agree with everything you've said, I like it on crackers, cooked food and as a marinade as well. I've been making a great ting I call "Uncle Ramon’s Island Style Mango Madness" for a few years now but I'm not willing to release its recipe. From the pics mine looks a little more puréed but hard to tell without trying them both ... keep on it, only thing I can say is that it's awesome and can't wait for mango season to start again here :) BTW I do a green one too, look here, which IMHO is kick ass, you should give it a try.

Very nice and I agree with everything you've said, I like it on crackers, cooked food and as a marinade as well. I've been making a great ting I call "Uncle Ramon’s Island Style Mango Madness" for a few years now but I'm not willing to release its recipe. From the pics mine looks a little more puréed but hard to tell without trying them both ... keep on it, only thing I can say is that it's awesome and can't wait for mango season to start again here :) BTW I do a green one too, look here, which IMHO is kick ass, you should give it a try.

Mine wasn't a puree....thinned out more and was more or less a accident that turned out good.

Your "green one" looks pretty good. I'm pretty sure Jungle Jims in Cincy should have some fresh and/or green mangos.
good ole cut/paste, right in the recipe folder.
Thanks.

... Your "green one" looks pretty good.
Thanks and let me know how you like

I'm pretty sure Jungle Jims in Cincy should have some fresh and/or green mangos. ...
Doesn't that take the fun out of climbing the tree, lol ... Luckily my brother and nephew have around 4 big trees that produce really great mango but I'll have to wait till summer :/ Once production starts, we eat mango in every way imaginable and try out as many recipes as we can find. That said by summers end we're all mango'd out down here and ready to give it a rest till next year, lol. The only ones that we didn't get sick of was the green, since we used it like a salsa with other foods and the yellow once we started coating meat with it ... BTW have you tried grilled shrimp with the yellow mango hot sauce, really good :)

Your "green one" looks pretty good. I'm pretty sure Jungle Jims in Cincy should have some fresh and/or green mangos.
good ole cut/paste, right in the recipe folder.

Yep, I'm sure they do, but you better have your own Scotch Bonnets, because Jungle Jims may have everything else, but I have yet to see a scotch bonnet there. :cry:

I guess the Jamaican Mushroom is different from the Jamaican Scotch Bonnet?
http://refiningfirechiles.com/jamyellowmushroomgallery.html

Yep, I'm sure they do, but you better have your own Scotch Bonnets, because Jungle Jims may have everything else, but I have yet to see a scotch bonnet there. :cry:

Oh, I never run out of SB's, Have a 1/2 gal bag(dbl'd bagged) with bags of 10count in the freezer.... and roughly 18+ sealed jars of dried peps (SB's and JHC's) with about 50% smoked in applewood. Don't worry about ole OhioHeat (Ed) running out...LOL ;)

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Oh, I never run out of SB's, Have a 1/2 gal bag(dbl'd bagged) with bags of 10count in the freezer.... and roughly 18+ sealed jars of dried peps (SB's and JHC's) with about 50% smoked in applewood. Don't worry about ole OhioHeat (Ed) running out...LOL [/background] ;)

Well, I was more making a point that we should pester Jim about getting more hot peppers than I was about you running out.. That store has a bazillion hot sauces and every exotic food you could imagine, but there hot pepper selection is barely better than Kroger.

Back