shipping European import taxes

MarcV

Extreme Member
Since a couple of months European citizens have to pay import taxes for all goods originating from outside of the European union regardless the cost. At the time this regulation came into effect, I had an order going from RFC with a value of just about US$5. When the little envelope with seeds arrived here in Belgium, I got an email from the Belgian post that I had to pay a taxes and handling fee of about 20 euros for the shipment to be released. It speaks for itself that I refused this.

I mailed RFC if they can send their seeds as a post card, without a customs declaration on the envelope, but apparently they don't do that. Got the reply that I should get my seeds elsewhere from then on.

I also contacted WHP. Got the reply that, because of the new tax rule, they no longer send seeds to the European union.

That's not fun... RFC and WHP were my number one seed sellers... ☹️

I also contacted THSC in Australia. They send their seeds as a post card so no problem there.

I also checked with SLP. Since the Canaries belongs to Spain there should be no problem but customs-wise it is considered outside the EU. SLP replied that they don't expect any problems though... but I'll have to see it to believe it first...

That leaves FataliiSeeds which should be OK, and the local seed sellers which I personally prefer to avoid. I'd like to chose my own seed sources without restrictions...

I have friends from North,South America,all over Europe,the Carribbean,Auz,Thailand,Vietnam,Pacific all sent without issues and charges and Semillas is no problem as is fatalli and the rest.They no how to send there cards and seeds around the world..if it's large amounts.. commercial amounts in ounces and kilos/pounds it's a different matter so don't worry.
Have to give a shout to Texas Hot Peppers and Pepper Merchant for fast and quality shipping and seeds.👍

Last edited:
Hi. I live in the Canary Islands. Here we're hardened to customs abuses. Maybe I can help you.

Yes, the Canary Islands aren't under the same rules as the rest of the EU (just when it comes to customs and transport rules, the rest are the same for everyone).
There is a law that tries to protect local commerce and implies customs charges for everything you ask, whether it comes from Europe, Spain, the United States or Venus. Here we've the possibility of managing the declaration of low value shipments (H7) through a government website. In this way you don't paying charges, as long as the shipment you receive doesn't exceed 150€.
If you are not attentive, you can pay € 30 of customs charges for an order of 1€.
You could ask if in your country there is the possibility of doing this. Local customs offices should be able to help you.

Having said that:
- Semillas.de sends its seeds as normal postal mail. You shouldn't have a problem.
- During this year I've received several envelopes with WHP and THP seeds without problem. I also received seeds from other European online stores and, except for the excessive time it took to arrive, there were no complications.

Cheers and luck.

Hi. I live in the Canary Islands. Here we're hardened to customs abuses. Maybe I can help you.

Yes, the Canary Islands aren't under the same rules as the rest of the EU (just when it comes to customs and transport rules, the rest are the same for everyone).
There is a law that tries to protect local commerce and implies customs charges for everything you ask, whether it comes from Europe, Spain, the United States or Venus. Here we've the possibility of managing the declaration of low value shipments (H7) through a government website. In this way you don't paying charges, as long as the shipment you receive doesn't exceed 150€.
If you are not attentive, you can pay € 30 of customs charges for an order of 1€.
You could ask if in your country there is the possibility of doing this. Local customs offices should be able to help you.

Having said that:
- Semillas.de sends its seeds as normal postal mail. You shouldn't have a problem.
- During this year I've received several envelopes with WHP and THP seeds without problem. I also received seeds from other European online stores and, except for the excessive time it took to arrive, there were no complications.

Cheers and luck.
There is no possibility of an exception for low value shipments here, the same rules apply to any shipment. If all vendors would send their seeds as a post card there wouldn't be a problem but vendors like superhotchiles (jim duffy) attach the value on the envelope so no escaping possible... ☹️

Long live the EU huh? Oh how things are better ever since the EU and euro.
Same as ever.....rich getting richer, politicians filling their corrupt pockets and the population....f-ed over. But hey, you don't have to show your passport crossing a border....yay.

Ordered lots from the uk...not anymore. Because politicians want to punish these damn Brits....it's like kindergarten.
I hope this EU will dissolve as soon as possible.

Never had to do that myself before but the rules changed on July 1st. Maybe the rules are different in Romania?

The info on the web site of the Belgian post is clear...

Clipboard01.png

Back