• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Ever have a seedling just... stop?

So I received a replacement pack of choc hab seeds due to a 0% germination rate with the last one, and had my fair share of issues with this batch too.

Two of them, however, actually got past just being "seeds" and actually started growing. One of them is now working on its third set of leaves.

The other... never got past the first set of leaves. And it didn't grow a stem either. There are just 2 thin little leaves resting on the surface of the soil, and it hasn't grown or died in 2 weeks. It looks perfectly healthy, if it had just sprouted, but I'm not sure what to make of this stall. Have any of you encounter this sort of thing?

yup all of the time. Some seedlings can sit there for weeks to months and do nothing. Give him a few weeds and try a lite fert like a dash of fish -- might polk it into growing but then again maybe not.

it is a crap shoot with those.

yep, i burned through a whole bunch of choc habs, white habs, choc bhuts, yellow bhuts, butchT, barrackpores, locato. the worst so far are white habs and locato...... then there are the wiri wiri from GreenTea(just incase he traded seeds with you, you know what to expect),.... planted 6, six sprouted, 6 died. 2 lasted 4 months with only first leaves, then eventually went to pepper heaven................ hope i don't hurt his feelings. not sure what i am going to do about getting the wiri to take, perhaps they require more nitrogen right from the start or perhaps a humid grow tent is required. i tried both soil and hydro, no difference.

i was able to get 1 choc hab to take and grow and it looks like pods have developed but that has been a 2 year effort, they did nothing last year but grow and if they did produce any flowers, they dropped them. i have 2 choc bhuts that are 2 years old and still haven't produced a pod. all the yellow bhuts died this year. i had to purchase a white hab from a hydroponic shop and it looks like it may produce.

the best producers so far for me are bombay morich, dorset naga, yellow scorpion & yellow 7 pot from pepperlover, though 2 years old they are producing. peppermania's inca red drop and foodrama yellow scotch bonnet are delivering in their first year. greta's organics orange fatalii are just monsterous though the plant is now into its 3rd year. it appears some chinense varieties in western canada just require 2 full years to produce..... without ultimate growing conditions, like a 1,000 watt halide lighting system that i refuse to buy.

it really takes a lot of patience and experimenting, good luck.

That seems to be happening right now with me actually. I have a 2 Bhut Jolokia sprouts going on 9 days. Still the same size as the moment they poked above ther surface. One still has the seed pod on its head. Same with 2 peach habanero sprouts that all popped around the same time

In comparison, at the same time as the others sprouted, I have 2 cayenne sprouts that there is measurable growth each day and are working on their 3rd and 4th leaves this far in.

I had a bunch of these happen in the start of the season. White Habs always seem to do this to me. They just pop out then stall and slowly yellow -->brown out and dont grow at all. Ive noticed putting the seedling in hydro seems to break the stalling if not it just dies.

Dealing with a Butch T going through this right.... Changed the soil, added a slow-release fertilizer while repotting it early and giving it really small amounts of miracle gro and it has slowly started growing again.... I noticed during repotting, it hardly had any root growth, so it was more than likely the soil or the pot was too small to dissipate the heat from the sun....

This is what my Bhut Jolokia looks like. Hasn't changed growth much since the day it stretched out about 5 days ago.
DSCN4060.jpg

I think I'll pull mine out of the dirt to check on its roots later tonight. Maybe resoiling it with a smidge of ferts will kickstart it.

Never did anything with it, and these are how the two look now. Both poked through around the same time, one just stalled.

choc-hab-seedlings.jpg

I had a couple of Butch Ts from my first round this year that were like this. They sprouted, then developed first set of true leaves, which never fully unfurled. they stayed in that state for . . . about a month. Whole plant never got higher than about . . . 25 mm, and no wider than 10 mm. Finally just plowed them under. They were part of a set ~ 20 seedlings that popped, then promptly keeled over due to (i found out later) over-watering. My guess was that I pretty much drowned out the finer root hairs and inhibited branching out of the root system. So even though two survived, they were more or less permanently stunted.

Back