• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Everything Fried

Searched for a deep fried thread....there probably is one but I didn't find it. But who doesn't love fried food? So here's my start to the "everything fried" topic. 

Tonkatsu, not to be confused with tonkotsu soup. With a tonkatsu sauce (non fructose heinz ketchup, worcestershire, soy sauce, mirin, brown sugar, garlic powder, dijon mustard, hot sauce)

Attachments

• tonkatsu.jpg
    tonkatsu.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,311
ShowMeDaSauce said:
Ive been craving fresh whole fried catfish. :D

when i fry any type of seafood, i like to use 1 part corn starch 1 part flour with some salt an pepper. egg wash --> flour by itself --> egg wash --> mixture dip --> fry. give it a nice crunch, relatively easy. but i know traditionally catfish has only 1 type of breading now a mixture.....but whole fried catfish? I've never seen someone fry a whole catfish....their skin is kinda slimy? i prefer smaller snappers or porgy when I whole fry a fish, or the miniature groupers too like strawberry or hind grouper 

ShowMeDaSauce said:
You skin small channel catfish and fry them whole. Head removed, skinned and gutted. Leave the tail...it tastes like a tater chip :D

Nothing over 2lbs and closer to a pound works great. Cornmeal and flour based breading...even Andy's isnt bad.

That's how my mother made them when we were little.  I make it a couple times a year since we don't fry often but it's a superb dish that recalls my childhood.  :)

Something about cooking them with the bones IN that gives catfish the most wonderful flavor. A little marina in my hometown had fillets, nuggets and whole. Nuggets were usually big old Missouri/Mississippi river cats. One look around told you what to get. Nearly every single table with old folks had whole fried smaller catfish.

With larger catfish i steak out the rib area and leave the section behind the ribs whole when possible. About a 5lber is max unless you have a huge fryer. Much bigger and the meat gets pretty strong too depending on water quality.

Fun Fact: Did you know deep frying is really steaming? The oil creates a barrier that does not let the moisture escape and the inside steams in its own juices. The outside, of course, crispy. When I first heard that it just made so much sense. And why chicken and deep fried turkeys are SO good and moist!!!! Because usually when you hear of steaming meat you think, hell no!

The Hot Pepper said:
Fun Fact: Did you know deep frying is really steaming? The oil creates a barrier that does not let the moisture escape and the inside steams in its own juices. The outside, of course, crispy. When I first heard that it just made so much sense. And why chicken and deep fried turkeys are SO good and moist!!!! Because usually when you hear of steaming meat you think, hell no!

Attachments

• moist.jpg
    moist.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 134
The Hot Pepper said:

Thats why you dont add oil to the mix (dumplings etc.)or it will be absorbed into the food.

BigB said:
also, someone else post some delicious fried goods! come on, i'm not the only fatty here.....am i?
Not at all, dude :rofl:

No fryer here (yet!). I talked to my grandmother on the phone the other day, and she's been trying to push her fryer onto me all year (no idea how big or how old it is). She's desperately trying to get rid of it. She's been a QVC FANATIC since they first aired, haha. Can't complain though. I recently acquired her Belgian waffle maker from her that she probably bought in the early 80's :rofl:

Still works! ;)
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/66154-comfort-food-thread/?p=1496245

Those waffles need chicken, and you won't be derailing this. :lol:

Back