• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Excuse me- been out for while- Thai throwdown anybody?

My wife is dead set on finding a good recipe for tom yum goong like we had at one of our favorite thai places but it closed down. So if you have a good recipe that you're willing to share, that would be awesome!

kentishman said:
Nice to have you back Bootsieb. You sent me seeds for Korean varieties a few years back. After your Thai throwdown, how about Kimchi? I've grown and dried a mild Korean pepper this year and plan to make Kimchi.
Was a little busy teaching here and there. So, I was not in Korea all of the time. But, it is nice to see those seeds still providing. I can not get them out anymore.

Edmick said:
My wife is dead set on finding a good recipe for tom yum goong like we had at one of our favorite thai places but it closed down. So if you have a good recipe that you're willing to share, that would be awesome!

Pay attention on how to prepare the first 3 herbs used in the stock and make shrimp stock from scratch. Buy whole shrimp with head on. Clean the shrimp but use the shells and heads for the stock.

Its all in the stock and how you prep the stock with lemon grass, lime leaves and galangal. Fresh chilis are great also. Most of the rest is kinda upto you. A little tamarind paste and lime vs all lime juice....chili paste vs Tom Yum paste ect ect. I use a Tom Yum paste and a tiny bit of coconut powder or cream but i like a hint of the "creamy kha style". Just omit the cream part if you don't like it.

I don't remember Boss saying the privately provoked head to head TD's were over, just the main.

I bet if you sweet talked him he'd do up the voting thing at the end for ya.

Good Luck, I hope this head to head challenge happens  :cheers:

ShowMeDaSauce said:

Pay attention on how to prepare the first 3 herbs used in the stock and make shrimp stock from scratch. Buy whole shrimp with head on. Clean the shrimp but use the shells and heads for the stock.

Its all in the stock and how you prep the stock with lemon grass, lime leaves and galangal. Fresh chilis are great also. Most of the rest is kinda upto you. A little tamarind paste and lime vs all lime juice....chili paste vs Tom Yum paste ect ect. I use a Tom Yum paste and a tiny bit of coconut powder or cream but i like a hint of the "creamy kha style". Just omit the cream part if you don't like it.

That video looks pretty spot on to how we like it. The one we had was coconut milk instead on condensed milk. We'll definitely give this recipe a try. Thanks!

Ive had it the way its made in the video but with coconut and im VERY fond of it too. I think that is called Tom Yum Kha or just Tom Kha. Ive had it with chicken and shrimp. Both are quite tasty.

Another favorite is without any cream and thin rice noodles. Tom Yum Noodles...Authentic is made with ground pork but i like it made like regular Tom Yum with fish cakes or fish balls and shrimp.

What are rules, date and conditions? Anyone gonna lay em down?  I think the dishes should have the key elements of Thai cooking. I would suggest after Thanksgiving-  Sunday 3rd December.

JayT said:
Well since its your thread, I say you make the rules.

I second that emotion.  You can specify which dishes we can choose from or open it up to any/all Thai food.  Voting would probably be easier if there are specific dishes to cook though.

Also might be best to have it open for a week or more in order to garner more entries as we're all getting busy with holidays looming.

Given time I'd love to contribute a dish - the tiger cry in particular as it's always been my fav.  We used to go to Opart Thai House quite often when I lived close and their tiger cry was most excellent.

Back