• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Exhausting hot air from closet

Once my grow season is over I'm going to move a few select plants back inside to continue fruiting over the winter. In the past my small closet was perfect because I only had to exhaust the air a few feet. However in my new location I don't have that option. I could cut a small circle in the closet ceiling and exhaust directly into the attic, but I'm not sure if that's the best option. I can also exhaust the hot air about 10' away to an open window, but not sure if that distance is too far or not. Any suggestions? I will probably run a single 1000 watt HPS in a cool tube for the 3-4 plants.

you could run an exhaust pop-vent and hose like they have for bathrooms. You run the hose to the eve in your attic crawlspace, then instal the pop-vent and attach the hose, when the fan comes on it vents the heat outside. You will need a thermostat on the fan.

you could run an exhaust pop-vent and hose like they have for bathrooms. You run the hose to the eve in your attic crawlspace, then instal the pop-vent and attach the hose, when the fan comes on it vents the heat outside. You will need a thermostat on the fan.

good idea, but the attic doesn't have a crawl space to do anything with it only has anough room for insulation. I was just thinking of putting a small hole in the ceiling and through the insulation just to get the air out of the closet, but the air would really have anywhere to go except around the home where there are a couple of small air vents to eventually disperse the air out.

a 1000W in a closet can get very dangerous. Plus if you are just overwintering 3-4 plant It would be best just to cut them back and use a 400W as they dont need as much light when over wintering. Just an idea.

--James

Here is what I use with my hood. It isn't super powerful and it is a little noisy but it gets the job done. Not too hard to wire up. You could even wire it up to an extension cord if you wanted to.

a 1000W in a closet can get very dangerous. Plus if you are just overwintering 3-4 plant It would be best just to cut them back and use a 400W as they dont need as much light when over wintering. Just an idea.

--James

James i'm actually moving the plants to GROW over the winter not over winter. Plus this is a walk in closet about 12'x12' so it's actually very large and really isn't dangerous at all.

Here is what I use with my hood. It isn't super powerful and it is a little noisy but it gets the job done. Not too hard to wire up. You could even wire it up to an extension cord if you wanted to.

Josh, you fan has a CFM rating of 160. I have several fans that rate from 300 all the way up to 800 CFM so it's not a fan that I need i'm just trying to setup the BEST way to vent the hot air out of the closet. I can vent outside the closet door to a nearby window, but that' means running at least 10' or more of duct across my office ceiling. Or I can cut a small hole and just vent into the attic directly, but not sure if that's going to cause an issue down the line or not. In the past my duct only ran 2' and went directly outside.

Really as long as the air is moving toward the vent it should be alright. Also as long as the area the is moved out to has some space on the other side to move. Much like a computer's exhaust being close up against a wall. Makes hot air harder to disperse.

Have you considered having an inlet fan to bring air into the closet as well?

Just some thoughts. I'm no master of the art myself lol.

Really as long as the air is moving toward the vent it should be alright. Also as long as the area the is moved out to has some space on the other side to move. Much like a computer's exhaust being close up against a wall. Makes hot air harder to disperse.

Have you considered having an inlet fan to bring air into the closet as well?

Just some thoughts. I'm no master of the art myself lol.

I figured if I just vent to the attic and let the hot air actually warm the rest of the house it's a win win plus on the top of the attic their is a small open vent for fresh air to come in so it will eventually be pushed up and out I just wasn't sure if there are any foreseeable problems. The room is an game room / office so I will have the window open most of time and a fan blowing air into the closet for air circulation. Hopefully it goes well. I will probably have 3-4 plants in the closet depending on how big the plants get by winter.

If you have any cold weather to speak of, you don't want to exhaust hot moist air to the attic.....the moisture will condense and cause lots of problems.

Also remember, if you are taking air out, you must put some in to replace it.

If you have any cold weather to speak of, you don't want to exhaust hot moist air to the attic.....the moisture will condense and cause lots of problems.

Also remember, if you are taking air out, you must put some in to replace it.

What type of problems would I have?

My plan was to run the lights from 11:00pm to 6:30am every night when it's the coldest because I will have an open window bringing in cool air from outside and simply circulate the air during the day when the lights are not on.

If it will cause problem sending the hot air into the attic during those times then i'll just have to rig up a long vent to expel the hot air outside.

What type of problems would I have?

Condensation problems.
Air contains water in varying amounts. Remember the cold glass of ice-water on a hot summer day? Water will condense on cold surfaces and you don't want water in insulation or on building materials.

I don't know where you are on the left coast, but there's plenty of places where it gets cold enough for condensation to be a problem.

Condensation problems.
Air contains water in varying amounts. Remember the cold glass of ice-water on a hot summer day? Water will condense on cold surfaces and you don't want water in insulation or on building materials.

I don't know where you are on the left coast, but there's plenty of places where it gets cold enough for condensation to be a problem.

I'm out in newport beach, and although it doesn't get that cold i'm sure it gets cold enough so i'm not going to bother. I did notice all the other vents go directly through the roof or to a vent outside.

I might actually just put them on one of the upstairs patio and just hang a light on the patio. Since the light will be running it may help keep them warm at night also. Since it never got really cold I actually left most of my over wintered plants outside without cutting them back at all. They didn't produce fruit, but they did continue to grow a little.

Back