• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Extending the season - peppers everyday?

I'm in 9B/10A zone. I'd like to extend my growing season so that I have some kind of peppers ready to harvest every day. As much as possible I want to use natural sunlight and elements with a little augmentation. Has anybody done this? Would adding a few hours of light and warmth enough? Are there varieties that are more indeterminate? BTW I have looked at the overwintering thread. There are a few relevant comments there but most of it is about letting it go some dormant and I want to do exactly the opposite.

So, funny thing about zones... I'm in the same/similar zone, on the other side of the country, and we don't get nearly as chilly as you. Mine don't really go dormant, except when we get the occasional freak cold. Everything gets yellow and ugly, but then they wake right back up, when the warm lasts for a week or so.

The term "determinate" and "indeterminate" don't really apply to peppers, at all. Peppers are everbearing. You haven't really stated how you are currently planted. Are your plants in-ground, or in containers?

Have you considered a hoop house, or small greenhouse?

This time of year is great over here for Annuum and Baccatum varieties. And I have a wiri wiri that is absolutely going off. But like I said, I've never really understood how your hardiness zones in the bay area overlap with ours, because I find your temps to quite uncomfortable this time of year, with my standard Florida attire... (it's downright chilly over there)

Zones are all about average low temperatures - so the average overall temperature can be lower. I can certainly see that in SF, where it's going to get much cooler in winter but still be moderated by the ocean.

I agree with the hoop house or greenhouse, that should keep them warm enough. Add some supplemental lighting, definitely not going to be getting enough through the winter.

I grow through winter (zone 7b) in a south-facing window with grow lights. Biggest issueI've noticed has been smaller fruit then when they're outside.

Yes sir, no mistake about that. It's just that if you could real life compare my zone with the bay area, you'd think that whoever came up with that system, was full of shite. 😆
No argument on that!

Actually, looking at a zone map I see that SF is the same as Riverside, CA where I grew up! I KNOW how different those two are.

Hardiness zones aren't about the average low temps. They are about lowest temp usually encountered. It doesn't take into account any other factor, and there are many others that will make a climate suitable for a plant or not.

Accordingly, zones are good only to aknowledge if a plant will be killed by your winter lowest temperature. Not very usefull for pepper growing...

So, funny thing about zones... I'm in the same/similar zone, on the other side of the country, and we don't get nearly as chilly as you. Mine don't really go dormant, except when we get the occasional freak cold. Everything gets yellow and ugly, but then they wake right back up, when the warm lasts for a week or so.

The term "determinate" and "indeterminate" don't really apply to peppers, at all. Peppers are everbearing. You haven't really stated how you are currently planted. Are your plants in-ground, or in containers?

Have you considered a hoop house, or small greenhouse?

This time of year is great over here for Annuum and Baccatum varieties. And I have a wiri wiri that is absolutely going off. But like I said, I've never really understood how your hardiness zones in the bay area overlap with ours, because I find your temps to quite uncomfortable this time of year, with my standard Florida attire... (it's downright chilly over there)
Good question! My plants are a mix. Some in-ground. Some in 1,3, or 5g containers. The 1g are special square containers that happily fit in my kitchen window. I have had jalapenos and poblanos produce during the winter there, but they slow down a lot. Was wondering if some extra light in AM and/or PM might help convince them to produce peppers in the winter months?

And yes, I am considering a hoop house or small greenhouse.

Zones are all about average low temperatures - so the average overall temperature can be lower. I can certainly see that in SF, where it's going to get much cooler in winter but still be moderated by the ocean.

I agree with the hoop house or greenhouse, that should keep them warm enough. Add some supplemental lighting, definitely not going to be getting enough through the winter.

I grow through winter (zone 7b) in a south-facing window with grow lights. Biggest issueI've noticed has been smaller fruit then when they're outside.
Do you just use the grow lights to extend the day or run them during daylight?

A general comment related to what many have said. Most years, our Rocotos do fine outdoors all winter. Jalapenos, poblanos, and others stand about a 50% chance of living through the winter but rarely produce during the winter.

Do you just use the grow lights to extend the day or run them during daylight?
I run them through the day too, mainly as a supplement to what's coming through the window - it's a bit more filtered that I would like and the windows aren't as big as I would like. If I had a full-on solarium I might not worry as much but since it's in my basement I figure it won't hurt.

I run them through the day too, mainly as a supplement to what's coming through the window - it's a bit more filtered that I would like and the windows aren't as big as I would like. If I had a full-on solarium I might not worry as much but since it's in my basement I figure it won't hurt.
Interesting approach. Combining a little natural sun with some supplemental artificial. I'm hoping to do some variation. Want to make use of both natural and artificial sun and heat.

What started me down this path, it was an accident sort of. A few years ago I started some chili peppers in my kitchen window in 2 and 1/4-in pots. I intended to plant them out but never did because of a family illness. But since they were right next to the kitchen window I did keep them watered and tossed a little food their way. I also discovered it was very easy when I was cooking to reach into the window and grab a jalapeno or poblano. They actually survived for a few years in 2 and 1/4 in pots and produced fruit! They filled completely a 3 ft x 3 ft window.

My Rocoto Rojos seem to be far more tolerant, staying green all winter with nighttime temps as low as ~40. This year, even my jalapenos and poblanos continued to leaf, flower, and fruit with nighttime temps of 45-50F. I just finally brought them in 2 days ago as we were expecting temps in the thirties. Unexpected.

My tomatoes, OTOH have given up.

No argument on that!

Actually, looking at a zone map I see that SF is the same as Riverside, CA where I grew up! I KNOW how different those two are.
Absolutely true! I think that is the reason Sunset mag created a scale with many more zones/microclimates. In the SF Bay Area, if you do not like the weather, just go 10 miles. Ultimately, I am learning to let the plants teach me what they need. Also true that different varieties within the same species can react to temp/sun/weather differently.

Back