Extra Plants

Thanks to some great advice and excellent seeds from members on the forum, I had my highest germination and success rates that I've ever had starting my plants.  I took stock today and after I culled a few plants that just didn't look as healthy, I'm still left with around 35 plants that I don't have room for...and that's after giving some to family members.  What do you guys do with extra plants?  I don't know a thing about shipping plants so sending them outside of my area worries me a little.  Has anyone tried Craigslist or Farmers Markets?  Any advice or insight would be great.

Thanks for reading!

A word of caution about Craigslist ads, DO NOT provide your address. It is a fact people who have posted addresses have lost all of their plants for sale due to theft because the plants are outside at that point. You can use Craigslist, just be SMART!

Not sure how many plants you're talking about, but...

IF you're not looking to make money I would suggest the following:

Donate to a garden that provides for the homeless or the needy. I belong to a community garden that donates upwards of 10K pounds of produce each summer.

Donate to a retirement home, individuals living in such facilities often had their own gardens but can't grow their own now. The attendants in such facilities actually do most of the work but the occupants reap the benefits of fresh produce. 

IF you have a lot of plants, a farmers market is surely the way to go. IF you have enough plants to sell that will offset the cost of attending and IF you are sure that you're selling what you describe. What I mean by that is if you received seed in trade and that is what you're selling, can you really be sure the plants will reproduce as the original?

Just my 2 cents

I have extra plants in my window sills, I've found that generally non chile heads don't care for dealing with them unless it's 2 weeks before the last freeze...

Spicegeist said:
I have extra plants in my window sills, I've found that generally non chile heads don't care for dealing with them unless it's 2 weeks before the last freeze...
...and we start pampering them 4 to 5 months before the last freeze!

I will have around 50 extra I need to find a home.  I will be able to get rid of some to co workers and family but I think I will ultimately have to throw some in the compost.

I ended up giving some to a local food bank, some to some guys enlisted in the air force, and some to friends. It was kind of hard letting them go, but I would rather give them away than kill them off.

Thanks guys!

Back