Extreme Biz Profiles: JoynersHotPeppers

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Vol. 3: JoynersHotPeppers

Extreme Biz Profiles is a series where you can learn more about Biz members' ventures while at the same time receiving a special offer! It then opens up to any questions you may have about their products, company history, industry hurdles, etc.

THE HOT SEAT

What made you want to get into the pepper powder business?
Many years ago when I lived in the Outer Banks of North Carolina, the only option anywhere was to get those wonderful brown pepper flakes everyone used on pizza. A co-worker who was a chef started making commercial hot sauce and at that time I grew Thai, Jalapeno, and Habanero peppers. His sauces were primarily Habanero based and I wanted a way to have dried options throughout the winter. After a few trial runs with Thai peppers, I arrived at what I at the time thought was good pepper powder, no longer the case .

What powder is your personal favorite?
The most used powder for personal consumption would be our Thai Blend. On average, we may ingest an ounce a month through cooking or post meal dustings.

You do offer blends, but not with any seasonings, only other peppers. Have you considered offering a table seasoning or rub? And how do you come up with your blends?
I have often entertained creating rubs for BBQ. At this time I am only formulating recipes and have not committed to anything beyond pure pepper powders.

Our blends are often trial and error. We taste all our peppers fresh then again once dried. Some of the blends aim to give an entire mouth burn based on the varieties included while others provide a depth of flavor upfront that turns to something else on the finish.

How do you make yourself stand out from other powders in the market? Some may think, "Oh, this is just a pepper powder, so I can buy it anywhere." What makes yours different?
I have many years’ experience in almost perfecting the process. It takes time to make a quality powder and simply drying without thought will not accomplish the desired results. I have a several step process prior to the final product becoming ready. Storage is also a critical element since powders are subject to moisture issues.

Anything new this year, or on the horizon?
2017 will bring a few more wood smoked powders. A few test runs in 2016 provided good results and feedback.

¡FIERY! QUESTION: With your love of jerk and Walkerswood  :P have you thought about a jerk seasoning or Caribbean blend?
We have a pure powder blend using chocolate peppers of the Caribbean. As for a jerk seasoning, I am not personally a fan of dry jerk powders and prefer the wet pastes. This year we plan to make our own jerk paste for personal consumption of course and perhaps a few to share if it works out.

THE OFFER

USA only
jhp_profile_coupon.png

http://heatmadesimple.com

THE Q&A

Go!

I think you should add some rub recipes to your recipe section. You have lots of food recipes, but if you put a rub recipe for beef, and one for pork, etc. like a Rub 101, with the needed spices, some being your powders, others being staples people usually have, it may result in some sales. :)

Back