Extreme Biz Profiles: PexPeppers

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Vol. 2: PexPeppers

Extreme Biz Profiles is a series where you can learn more about Biz members' ventures while at the same time receiving a special offer! It then opens up to any questions you may have about their products, company history, industry hurdles, etc.

THE HOT SEAT

PexPeppers has had its ups and downs, and a couple times you announced you were closing up shop. I'm happy to see you back in business. What was it that helped you stay the course? 
My family, friends, and fans. I was having a major case of burnout in Harrisburg. I felt like my new family (Oliver Peck was born on 12/30/16) needed a fresh slate to work with as well. So we packed up and decided Colorado is where PexPeppers was going to stay. Pueblo to be exact.

How hard was it to have to re-setup your business?
It wasn't too awfully hard actually. As soon as we landed in Denver and got settled in at the hotel near the new house, I actually registered for my LLC out here and tax license with some other odds and ends. After that I moved into my house 3 days later and had to wait for the moving company which arrived on Jan 27th, 2017 (now mind you, we moved out here on Dec 13th, 2016). After moving here I felt that there was only one way to get back on my feet and that was through Kickstarter. I raised $11,004 out of an original $7,500 goal. I was SO lucky I got that much because I was still about $2000 short to get my three main sauces made. After that I had to send samples of sauce to a process authority and then later register with FDA. I was able to get Taco Fuego, Cosmic Peach, and HornetBOMB hot sauce made in late February. Since I don't have a facility at the moment, Jay Turner of Burns & McCoy hot sauce up in Fort Collins offered to co-pack for me and I took him up on his offer. Bigger batches means a much more consistent product. Now that I have my 3 sauces back, I was able to get into 5 hot sauce shops, including one in Canada! Interest is growing every day and it's just phenomenal how many people ACTUALLY love hot sauce, particularly here in Pueblo, Colorado.

Do you have any advice for those starting out in the business, wanting to go professional?
It's entirely worth the trouble of going legitimate, I had to learn that the hard way. Also, it's not about how much heat you can pack in a bottle, it's about the flavor and respecting the chiles. Also, do your research on the actual peppers themselves and see what they actually taste like. I did YouTube reviews of various chiles before I even started saucing. Also, listen to what your customers/guinea pigs have to say about your sauces.

Are you still doing honey and pickles, and were you able to maintain the honey farm?
I am not doing honey and pickles anymore due to not having my own establishment at the moment. I wasn't able to bring all my bee supplies with me due to limited space on the horrible moving truck. Also, it pains me to tell you that Dr Peck (Founder of Dr Peck's Honey) has passed away on March 5th 2017 but he is finally at peace. I will continue his legacy but in the form of hot sauce and maybe honey again someday. He is the person who taught me how to be a businessman.

Looks like Painapple is back, what else is on the horizon?
Well Painapple will be here on May 19th, and after that I have To The Moon, KillerSWARM, and perhaps a new Verde sauce utilizing local chilies. It's funny, people only really ask me for my ultra hot stuff.

¡FIERY! QUESTION: How are you hanging in there without the Chat Room? ;)
Haha, I am doing just fine actually. I have found that chat rooms actually kill my productivity. I spend a lot more time with my plants now.

THE OFFER

I would also like to extend a permanent discount of 20% your way by using the code THP20. That code is valid for life and is applicable to single bottles of sauce (not packs). Get yours today at https://www.pexpeppers.com

pexpeppers_profile.jpg

THE Q&A

Go!

That's a great offer! Congrats on the new addition to the family, and RIP to your inspiration. Sorry to hear.

The Hot Pepper said:
Jay Turner of Burns & McCoy hot sauce up in Fort Collins offered to co-pack for me and I took him up on his offer. 

Great dude! Props, Jay!!!!!

PexPeppers said:

Well, its going to be tasty, I can tell you that much.

hogleg said:
Swell, thats like telling me the ending of a movie I haven't seen.  :rofl:

Just keep up the good work, Garret  :cheers:
That's like saying ...
"pssst...Hogleg....In the next blockbuster chick-flick comedy romance movie coming out this spring,  the girl gets the guy and they ride off into the sunset to live Happily Ever After."  :lol:

Glad to hear you are getting settled in your new home, Garrett.  And major props to Jay of Burns and McCoy.  It's been a crazy few years for you, but it sounds like things are settling in.  Hopefully you can revive the apiary soon.  Seems like that's part of where you started.  Sometimes that can continue, sometimes things just have to move on.

All the best!
SL 

The Hot Pepper said:
THE OFFER

I would also like to extend a permanent discount of 20% your way by using the code THP20. That code is valid for life and is applicable to single bottles of sauce (not packs). Get yours today at https://www.pexpeppers.com

Get some Pex for BBQ season!

I would like all of you to know that PAINAPPLE is now available!!!!! Painapple is a Carolina Reaper Hot Sauce that is extremely chili forward, sweet, and ultra hot chili sauce. All you have to do is click the picture to go to the website, click buy now, fill out your info, and pay; it's that easy!

I'm sure he can fix it for you.

Remember, Pex's deal is permanent!

The Hot Pepper said:
THE OFFER

Back