• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Extremely distorted leaf .. any ideas ?

Hey everyone any ideas what this is ? I apologize it's not the greatest pic.

IMG_8480.jpg

and this

IMG_1893.jpg

The first one was a plant transplanted into a bulk mix that contains 20% topsoil and the mix could be a little stout.. could it be the mix ?

Yes. It starts at the roots. It could very well be the mix. MOre details. What is the soil in detail. Any fertilizer?

Yes. It starts at the roots. It could very well be the mix. MOre details. What is the soil in detail. Any fertilizer?

It was a bulk mix that I could get do I bought a bag of it to tryaa I remember it had the following

Worm castings
Steer manure
Mushroom Compost
Leaf and grass compost
Fruit and vegetable compost
Sand
Pumice
Top Soil
Micro Fungi

Not a fan it's too heavy just not something I'm gonna use. Think I'm gonna repot it before it gets to rooted in the stuff.

Yea I owuld get it out of that mix. Just use miracle grow potting mix. You can not go wrong. Do not water much, wait till the pot is light and you can pick it up really easy.

Too muchs nutes, I have some i threw too much ferts, i forgot i already threw some down and they got all twisted, a good flush and a couple weeks the new growth looks fine...

You might want to throw some perlite into that mix. Could be a winner if you can get it to drain and not turn into a brick after watering.

As for the recommendation to go with MG potting mix and never have any problems take that with a grain of salt.

I had a similar problem with my Douglahs and Butch T's overwinters. All of my overwinters in the greenhouse are getting the same nutes on the same schedule, the only difference between the plants with severe leaf distortion and the others was the soil mix. I gave them a high dose of epsom and then top dressed each pot with 2 Tbsp of epsom. Two weeks later they are all better, I never changed anything with the nutes.

Not to say this isn't nute related, this is more than one possibility here.

Can someone explain what you all mean by "nutes." I thought people were just using it to generically refer to nutrients when they weren't sure what was off balance, but reference to it not being the problem and correcting with epsom salts, which also supply nutrients, now leads me to think you're all referring to something else. Are you referring to nitrogen compounds? I'm trying to figure this out, because it seems like every plant malady gets diagnosed as "too many nutes" or "too much ferts" here.

Question two...do those misshapen leaves harm the plant at all? Or is it more of an aesthetic issue, and preventing more severe health problems that it's warning about?

Can someone explain what you all mean by "nutes." I thought people were just using it to generically refer to nutrients when they weren't sure what was off balance, but reference to it not being the problem and correcting with epsom salts, which also supply nutrients, now leads me to think you're all referring to something else. Are you referring to nitrogen compounds? I'm trying to figure this out, because it seems like every plant malady gets diagnosed as "too many nutes" or "too much ferts" here.

Question two...do those misshapen leaves harm the plant at all? Or is it more of an aesthetic issue, and preventing more severe health problems that it's warning about?

Wow, you know I never thought much about it until you brought this up. You are right, I was refering to fertilizers (of varying NPK ratios) and it was a very misleading statement.

I noticed on my plants that I was not getting healthy flower buds while this was occuring. I personally think it is more than an aesthetic issue because regardless the cause, the symptom is screaming that something is not right.

Back