• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Extremely Immature Habaneros

A recent topic posted by someone else asking about some Green Habanero "variety" reminded me of this, which I never asked before. I think it's obvious to most people (at least around here) that peppers are useful at any stage in their life, ripe or unripe, and theoretically at any size that is useful, but most people seem to pick them when they're about full size or start changing color at least (if not fully changed in color). But did anyone ever pop a real small, extremely young habanero in their mouth? I mean one that's literally not much bigger than a pea (yeah, I know--crazy idea, at that size they're really not that useful). I recall doing this with a couple these last two year I've been growing, and while sometimes I'm not surprised (ie. it tastes "peppery" and already has a bit of heat), I've tried a couple that tasted like... peas?! [literally, and with no heat] No doubt, these must have been some of the youngest of the youngest peppers on the plant, and I have to admit... they tasted absolutely nothing like any habanero (let alone any other pepper) that I've ever tasted. Yet still tasted good.

I wouldn't make a practice of picking such small peppers (I usually wait at least several days after fully ripe to pick if I can), but it was interesting. I noticed anything from no heat to a small amount of heat to a relatively impressive amount of heat based on very small increments of size. Similarly, not surprising at all, the heat also noticeably increased with each increment in size.

Ya like bitter cabbage to me too when immature, and usually not much noticable heat until they are mature size and close to "ripe green"

A recent topic posted by someone else asking about some Green Habanero "variety" reminded me of this, which I never asked before. I think it's obvious to most people (at least around here) that peppers are useful at any stage in their life, ripe or unripe, and theoretically at any size that is useful, but most people seem to pick them when they're about full size or start changing color at least (if not fully changed in color). But did anyone ever pop a real small, extremely young habanero in their mouth? I mean one that's literally not much bigger than a pea (yeah, I know--crazy idea, at that size they're really not that useful). I recall doing this with a couple these last two year I've been growing, and while sometimes I'm not surprised (ie. it tastes "peppery" and already has a bit of heat), I've tried a couple that tasted like... peas?! [literally, and with no heat] No doubt, these must have been some of the youngest of the youngest peppers on the plant, and I have to admit... they tasted absolutely nothing like any habanero (let alone any other pepper) that I've ever tasted. Yet still tasted good.

I wouldn't make a practice of picking such small peppers (I usually wait at least several days after fully ripe to pick if I can), but it was interesting. I noticed anything from no heat to a small amount of heat to a relatively impressive amount of heat based on very small increments of size. Similarly, not surprising at all, the heat also noticeably increased with each increment in size.

Yes Ultra
I use immature Savinas and Habs in different salsas and as you say they are Great! tasting, and I love the fresh pepper taste. Or can I say green taste.

Green habs can be very good, but extremely immature pods tastes terrible and should be left to grow and ripen

Cabbage? Weird, because like I said, what it tasted like to me was a pea when it was about the size of one... and I like peas... but of course, its flavor seemed to transform once it was just a bit bigger.

I'm not arguing that it makes little sense to pick them so small though, but I was curious and had tons of peppers to spare, so I just figured I'd do a little experiment.

Back