• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Extremely slow Haps & Bhut J

Hey everyone,

I've been growing these two plants now for a little over 3 months, close to 4.  about 2 weeks ago the first flowers appeared on my Habanero (last 4 pictures), But they seem to be so slow, the petals only fell off the first flower yesterday, there appears to be a tiny bud left there now. My Jalapeños were wayyyyy faster in the flowering process. The ghost ( first 3 pics) has been trying to make flowers now for about 2-3 weeks but it also seems to be impossibly slow going. is it normal for the flowers to take this long to develop and pollinate? or am I just being impatient???

I am using general hydroponics Maxi Bloom fertilizer as per the directions, and I have both plants in small 6" pots. I want to keep them small as I am growing them inside under 2 T8 Shop lights (4 bulbs) and they have been doing great. I currently have the light on 24/7 and the Jalapeño plants are absolutely thriving. I have 5-6 peppers on each plant ( they're also small,, kept in solo cups and being bottom fed hydroponic nutrient on purpose to keep them at a small size for inside under my lights)

Thanks!
Trevor

Attachments

• IMG_1305.JPG
    IMG_1305.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1304.JPG
    IMG_1304.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1303.JPG
    IMG_1303.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1299.JPG
    IMG_1299.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1300.JPG
    IMG_1300.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1301.JPG
    IMG_1301.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1302.JPG
    IMG_1302.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 76
Ghost, habaneros and other chinense varieties take a while to start flowering and once they do will typically drop several rounds of blooms before they finally start to set pods. The only varieties that can be even more picky and take longer are pubescense.  Be patient and don't over feed and they will eventually settle in and start putting on some pods. Good luck!!!
Shane

+1

Even with my outdoor plants, I normally do not see pods until the chinense are ~5 to 6 months old.

Plants look great, by the way.

You need to cut back on the nitrogen if you want the real hot peppers to flower. It might take a month after no nitrogen to flower. They need to struggle a little bit. Trick them with less light and less food. Then they will go into reproductive mode.

Thanks for the input everyone! I can't wait to see them make some pods! Here are some pics of my Carolina Reaper, its about 6 weeks old, I pinched the top off about a week ago the same as I did with my habanero and ghost! hopefully it turns out to roughly the same shape!

Trevor

Attachments

• IMG_1310.JPG
    IMG_1310.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1309.JPG
    IMG_1309.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 78
Back