• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

container Fabric pot water runoff and heat

Hi folks...question for you. I have the felt/cloth type 5 & 7 gallon pots. When watering from the top the water wants to just run out the sides of the pots. I was thinking of lining the inside with a white plastic shopping bag with the bottom cut out to prevent this. I'm also wondering if the black pots keep the roots too hot in the summer. To help with this I could also put a shopping bag over the outside of the pot to reflect the sun. OR...instead of lining the inside spray the pots with Neem oil to repel the water back...plus maybe help repel insects as a side benefit. Any thoughts on this? You can call me an idiot...I can take it. :hmm:

Yeah, that can be a problem with the water running out the sides. When I water with fabric pots I often water twice. First, to wet the soil a bit and then a second time maybe 15 minutes or so later - or even hours later if that's more convenient. The first watering moistens the soil so the second watering is better absorbed rather than just flowing out the sides. You can also set the fabric pot into a container for watering and let the water pool in the container around the lower couple/few inches of the fabric pot to be re-absorbed back into the fabric pot over several minutes time. This is kind of a hassle though (takes more time) and I primarily do it indoors where I have fewer plants and don't want water running out inside the house.

Dark fabric pots don't seem to create the same heat problems that dark plastic containers can. I suspect it's because of the better breathability versus the plastic ones, which can heat up and keep in water and "suffocate" the roots.

@Tybo ...I've been seeing that Yucca powder mentioned on here...might give it a try..thanks. Other than the self termination of the roots..what is the supposed purpose of fabric pots?

@CaneDog ...That's exactly what I resorted to doing...a pre-water if you will. Even then some will escape and if feeding at the same time its money. I've even thought of putting a perforated tube angled towards the center to pour water down...but I dunno if it would interfere with the roots too much. I also had trays under them put when it rains a lot they can be a pain to keep drained. With failed surgery on my back years ago I cant be lifting them in and out of water.

Good to know about the heat...thanks.

@Tybo ...I've been seeing that Yucca powder mentioned on here...might give it a try..thanks. Other than the self termination of the roots..what is the supposed purpose of fabric pots?

@CaneDog ...That's exactly what I resorted to doing...a pre-water if you will. Even then some will escape and if feeding at the same time its money. I've even thought of putting a perforated tube angled towards the center to pour water down...but I dunno if it would interfere with the roots too much. I also had trays under them put when it rains a lot they can be a pain to keep drained. With failed surgery on my back years ago I cant be lifting them in and out of water.

Good to know about the heat...thanks.
It's my understanding that they "air prune" the roots which helps prevent the circling that the roots would do in a solid construction container. I've heard they also help the roots get oxygen. Like I said before, I use them and get decent results.
Good luck with your grow!

It's my understanding that they "air prune" the roots which helps prevent the circling that the roots would do in a solid construction container. I've heard they also help the roots get oxygen. Like I said before, I use them and get decent results.
Good luck with your grow!

Got it....yeah I understand that part of it...thanks.

What about this...fill the pot about 2/3rds of the way full...then put a bag in with the bottom of it cut out to leave about 2" or so in from the pot wall and angled slightly downward into the center of the pot. So any water that heads to the sides would go down to the 1/3 point then be forced back to the center.

Also...I see where people simply use a dilute mixture of plain Ivory soap as a wetting agent...is this not good?...doesnt last?...what are you stupid? :oops:

As long as you use natural soap based on potassium salts, rather than sodium, a small amount is fine even regularly. A mild solution of potassium soap in water is all “insecticidal soap” is. (Sodium soaps are an issue with repeated use, as most plants don’t tolerate excess sodium; think “salting the earth”.)

Potassium-based soaps are liquid while sodium-based soaps are solid, but check the ingredients to be sure — fancy detergents and anonymous perfumes abound. I use Dr Bronner’s unscented when needed, but I’m a hippy like that. 😁

Last edited:
As long as you use natural soap based on potassium salts, rather than sodium, a small amount is fine even regularly. A mild solution of potassium soap in water is all “insecticidal soap” is. (Sodium soaps are an issue with repeated use, as most plants don’t tolerate excess sodium; think “salting the earth”.)

Potassium-based soaps are liquid while sodium-based soaps are solid, but check the ingredients to be sure — fancy detergents and anonymous perfumes abound. I use Dr Bronner’s unscented when needed, but I’m a hippy like that. 😁

Got it...thanks for the info. :cheers:

Got it....yeah I understand that part of it...thanks.

What about this...fill the pot about 2/3rds of the way full...then put a bag in with the bottom of it cut out to leave about 2" or so in from the pot wall and angled slightly downward into the center of the pot. So any water that heads to the sides would go down to the 1/3 point then be forced back to the center.

Also...I see where people simply use a dilute mixture of plain Ivory soap as a wetting agent...is this not good?...doesnt last?...what are you stupid? :oops:
Forget about the bag. You shouldn't need it at all.

I've often done the same thing double-watering thing that CaneDog mmentioned, and it's worked great.

Another thing I've done in the past--though I don't know if this is a good suggestion--is aerate the soil in my pots with a chopstick.

I've often done the same thing double-watering thing that CaneDog mmentioned, and it's worked great.

Another thing I've done in the past--though I don't know if this is a good suggestion--is aerate the soil in my pots with a chopstick.
So funny that you mention that. I do the same with these sometimes, using the pointy end to go among the roots and loosen them a little to let the water in - skewers I get the smaller packs from the store, though.

I periodically set my 16 and 5 gallon bags in large mortar pans from Lowz or 16x22 underbed type of Rubbermaid storage containers from Wally. What runs out the sides goes back in as bottom water. If a big rain fills them, I dump it out.

I periodically set my 16 and 5 gallon bags in large mortar pans from Lowz or 16x22 underbed type of Rubbermaid storage containers from Wally. What runs out the sides goes back in as bottom water. If a big rain fills them, I dump it out.

I did have plastic trays under them last year but its a PITA to empty them every time it rains. That...and for $2-$3 a piece they are expensive for as cheap as they are...one slight bend and they crack. Cant afford to do 37 plants this year and with my back I cant be lifting them in and out of containers all the time. Dunno.

Back