Fabric Pots: 3 vs 5 gallons

I already have 10x5 Gallon fabric pots, and am looking at adding another 10x3 Gallon ones. Almost everywhere you read, the recommended size most people go with for containers is 5 gallons regardless of material. If you have used both 3 and 5 gallon pots at the same time (especially fabric), did the larger size provide significantly greater results?

The reason I ask, is that it costs me quite a bit to fill up all these pots, so if I can get away with some smaller ones, then I would prefer to do so. I am not looking for  ginormous yields since I wouldn't be able to use them all and don't have too much space for storage.

It really depends on the plant variety. Every year I repot my plants when the cold weather kicks in - part of my process is removing as much old soil from the roots and trimming them (as well as pruning branches) before repotting. Some develop extensive roots, while others have surprisingly little root systems. The average height or width of a plant will often tell you much - jalapenos, for example, don't get very tall and have smaller root systems. You can easily put jalapenos into a 3-gallon container and be fine. Douglahs, on the other hand, usually require a significant trim each year, and my 3rd-year douglah was almost as tall as I am. Even if not very tall, however, if very wide also go for a larger pot. Check out average height and width on a number of varieties at http://chileplants.com - if nothing else you can probably find a variety very similar even if they don't have an exact match.  

That is what I like to hear! I suppose down the road if I need to repot or perhaps when repotting next year I could always go up a size. Will see how things turn out!

I have 25 7gallon fibers for this years grow.I will keep ya posted.The biggest I used last year was 5 gallon buckets and they worked great.You are correct,I have been picking up bags of this and that every time I walk by a garden center,anticipating the amount of soil I will need to fill all my pots. ;)

Dang haha I hate to see what that's doing to your wallet ;-)

Although I am sure the stuff avaliable to you is much cheaper than what I have to work with.

I have 8 of the 3 gallon root pouches and they have worked out excellently for the last 2 grow seasons. the plants I have in them were overwintered in them as well. Highly recommend the root pouches and the 3 gallon are good. I even had Tomatoes and Green Beans in them last year. 

I have 5 or 6 3 gallon ones that I will be planting overflow peppers in. Probably mostly annuums. I would use bigger ones for pubes or chinense.

filmost said:
Dang haha I hate to see what that's doing to your wallet ;-)

Although I am sure the stuff avaliable to you is much cheaper than what I have to work with.
       Fil I pick up a few on the weekends and then throw the receipt away.I don't have  hobbies that are as rewarding as this one at the moment so its all good.I have about a pallet full of odds and ends that will get mixed together and then into the pots.I will keep ya posted,since I got an inch of snow last night it will be a few weeks. :rolleyes:

burntends said:
       Fil I pick up a few on the weekends and then throw the receipt away.I don't have  hobbies that are as rewarding as this one at the moment so its all good.I have about a pallet full of odds and ends that will get mixed together and then into the pots.I will keep ya posted,since I got an inch of snow last night it will be a few weeks. :rolleyes:

Hmmm, let's see.
Motorcycles, check
guitars, check
remote control airplanes, check
remote control helicopters, check
guns, check
hot peppers, check
guitars again, check.

Yep, I've thought that same thing many times and I am a pro at throwing away receipts.

Back