• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Fajita Bell

I was going to attempt to cross a hab with a bell this year and see if I could yield some results, but found a coupla' plants (fajita bell and cajun bell, I think) at the big box store that seemed to fit the bill, so I thought I'd try one. I picked up a fajita bell and it's currently producing a lot of fruit, although a local tree rat may have nibbled on one, and can't wait to try them when they ripen. Anyone have any experience with these? Was hoping for a bigger, mildly spicy pepper to compliment my habs (which Burpee seems to have gotten confused with some kind of wax pepper). So can anyone tell me where it rates in spiciness? More or less than a Jalapeno?

Thanks.

I just picked my first one of the FB,and I had hotter spice,than was prob in the Bell. So I couldn't tell you how hot it was.But the freshness of it....man ROMANCE EXPLOSION,I LIKE !

Can't realy comment on the fajita bells's. As this is my first year growing/finding them in Georgia. Have grown the cajun. A very prolific plant, but small fruit. An no where near a hab/bell cross. Thin walled and very seedy. If you're looking for something hab/bell I suggest a Manzano or Rocoto. Found those first time this year and very pleased with them. They are almost the size of bell's. An hotter than commercial jalapeno's.

Not as hot as a typical heirloom jalapeno, but could be as hot as the mild type of jalapenos found at some grocery stores. I second Boost313's suggestions of Manzano and Rocoto but non-chiliheads would probably call them hotter than "mild", and you wrote "mildly spicy pepper" which would be a cross between a bell and something milder than a habanero, and you have much better odds of not just success but viable seed from the next generation if they are both C. annuum being crossed.

I guess my definition of 'mild" might be different than others. I think a nice halfway between 0 and "Good God, someone pull the Sun out of my mouth" is mild. :lol: I like a good kick, but I'm kind of looking for big with enough heat to add to dishes without overwhelming the flavor. Have to look into those Manzano and Rocoto.

Thanks, guys!

Back