• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Fake Sports Fan

WarrantMan

Extreme Member
Ok, full confession here. I am not much of a sports fan and have not been for many years. I played football and baseball up until my freshman year in high school. In baseball was second baseman for some years, catcher for most. Football -guard on offense and nose tackle for defense.  In little league we had so few players I played on the kicking and receiving teams as well, don’t remember the positions however, so long ago.

My early heroes as I recall were Thurman Munson, Ken Stabler and Steve Bartkowski.

I am a Carolina Gamecocks fan by proxy. I have relatives who work at the college and particularly in the sports program there. So, I am a fan and follow them. But little else.

On being a “cop” I am surrounded by much machismo and sports fans. Many of my colleagues can easily rattle off stats of this team or the other, quote goings on for this player or that one. Totally outside my box. I am an odd dude and have other pursuits. I don’t “dis” anyone if this is their thing. Just not mine.

Early on, I felt left out of the conversations if I didn’t watch a particular “game” whatever it was. I would show up to work and the conversation would go round until it was “my turn” to chime in. Not having watched whatever game was being discussed, I figured out some phrases I could say that would “save face” and not leave me out. It worked well for years until one day a coworker finally called me out…. So kiss my a**  Mark *****

So, here it is, my quips on any sports conversation that I was oblivious to:
  1. If they had given better effort they would’ve won.
  2. They needed to get more points on the board.
  3. The defense won (or lost) the game.. (doesn’t matter)
  4. They didn’t lose so much as they let the other team win.
  5. Their head just wasn’t in the game.
  6. It was obvious they didn’t bring their “A” game.
  7. It all boils down to “who wants to win” the most.
  8. There were some bad calls, but what can you do?

Now for the clincher. There are six (6) teams between American professional football, basketball and baseball whose names do not end with the letter “s.” Not the city name but the team. A true sports fan could name them, or anybody cheating with a websearch.

What say you?

WarrantMan said:
Now for the clincher. There are six (6) teams between American professional football, basketball and baseball whose names do not end with the letter “s.” Not the city name but the team. A true sports fan could name them, or anybody cheating with a websearch.

True sports fan? Or someone with too much time on their hands? :rofl:

Why didn't we include hockey with Wild (Minnesota) Avalanche (Colorado) and Tampa Bay Lightning?? I grew up a Sabres fan being so close to buffalo and my grandfather being a Bill's fan (although I think it should be the Orchard Park Bill's due to buffalo being such a craphole throughout 90% of the city ) I followed suit with the hockey world lol, I follow the NJ devils mainly now.
Sorry, I had to throw my sport in there hahaha

Ashen said:
Did LA Angels officially or just informally drop the "of Anaheim" part of their name?
They have changed their name so many times it's hard to keep up. The "of Anaheim) was only added because the had to include the location of the home field in their name, pretty sure it was because of the lease. Kind of stirred the pot and kept their names in the papers because of a lawsuit back in the 90s to early 2000s I'm pretty sure. As far as I know, they were able to keep the name, but like everyone knows, they are just the Angel's. No one would connect the dots if someone said they were an Anaheim fan lol.

Back