• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Farmer's / Potato Jalapeno

Just pulled some Farmer's Jalapeno.  For Jalapeno, they were huge.  I cut into them to find they were still green.  I understand they ripen into red, but how the heck does a person know if they have gone red threw that thick brown skin?  Does the red sneak threw a bit?

I sliced the things length wise and crunched raw like a crisp carrot.  Flavor similiar to a sweet bell, if there is heat in there I cant sense it.  Huge thick walls, almost solid on the inside.  This sucker is a keeper!

AJ Drew said:
Just pulled some Farmer's Jalapeno.  For Jalapeno, they were huge.  I cut into them to find they were still green.  I understand they ripen into red, but how the heck does a person know if they have gone red threw that thick brown skin?  Does the red sneak threw a bit?

I sliced the things length wise and crunched raw like a crisp carrot.  Flavor similiar to a sweet bell, if there is heat in there I cant sense it.  Huge thick walls, almost solid on the inside.  This sucker is a keeper!
I've been having the same issue, it's basically impossible to tell if they are red or not due to the corked skin. I've gotten a few red ones this year, but mostly green. It's a bit of a guessing game. They are good peppers though. I like doing roasted jalapeño poppers with them. They have very low amounts of heat as well, so I can share them with people that can't take the heat.

I pulled my plant because I wasn't crazy about them. When I pulled it there were a couple of pods that went red...it took a long time. It is a nice novelty looking pepper but I prefer the Biker Billy Jalapenos that also cork.

tctenten said:
I pulled my plant because I wasn't crazy about them. When I pulled it there were a couple of pods that went red...it took a long time. It is a nice novelty looking pepper but I prefer the Biker Billy Jalapenos that also cork.
I thought the Biker Billy looked more like cracked?

tctenten said:
Maybe I used the wrong term. I just assumed it was considered corking too.
Maybe it is.  I just mean that the what ever it is called on the potato jalapeno is so thick the thing, well it looks like a potato.  Seriously, if I had not grown the thing and known the seeds I would never guess it were a pepper.

I can usually tell the color at the very bottom tip. Have 3 plants with 0 to mild heat and one that is way above normal jalapeno heat. Potato is a good description in appearance.

So do you guys skin them like a potato or eat them "peels" and all?
I've been curious about them for a while now but never tried growing any yet.

RedSkull said:
I can usually tell the color at the very bottom tip. Have 3 plants with 0 to mild heat and one that is way above normal jalapeno heat. Potato is a good description in appearance.
How hot are we talking? Habanero or Cayenne or?

RedSkull said:
I usually see no color whatsoever due to the corked skin, but I haven't looked at the tip super closely before I'll give that a shot.
Hawaiianero said:
I eat them with the skin on. Since I usually eat them roasted and stuffed or grilled, the skin softens up nicely.

Hawaiianero said:
Still green but huge, I have been cutting lengthwise, skin on, in quarters and then dipping like I would a carrot.  They are really crunchy.  It really doesnt look or taste like a pepper, maybe a little bit like a sweet pepper but so thick you dont really think so.

willard3 said:
Corked Xalapeños
i do think that is what people call corking, but using the same word to describe the potato jalapeno just seems wrong cause it is all cork.  Really funky looking.

spicefreak said:
How hot are we talking? Habanero or Cayenne or?
Hot enough to panic for being unexpected then it peaks into a real smooth enjoyable burn ....hot like cayenne but not stingy if that makes sense.

The corking does make it have a very strange mouth feel.

Attachments

• 20160903_183711.jpg
    20160903_183711.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 64
RedSkull said:
Hot enough to panic for being unexpected then it peaks into a real smooth enjoyable burn ....hot like cayenne but not stingy if that makes sense.
Nice, I have some I have to pick tomorrow, I will keep an eye out for the red indicator on the tip.

Back