Fascinating Ed Currie Article

The article claims that the Carolina Reaper is a simple cross between a sweet Habanero and a Pakistani Naga.

First of all, I don't believe this.

Second of all, why would Ed give away the secret??

Can't comment about the acuracy of the hab/Paki cross. We all know the tv posta always get it right :rolleyes:

That would be a question to be directed to Ed Currie. There were several other PepperPeeps that had spots inthe show.

Good info and exposure for chiles.

Interesting segment - thanks for the link.

Good on Ed Currie for putting his money where his mouth is. I hope he`s right. As an ex-cancer researcher for 18+ years, I have my doubts, but hopefully some labs will put the work in to find out.

From the pics of the Carolina Reaper fruit I have seen, I always thought the cross was Habenero/Naga type chile. But sweet habenero, really?

Did y'all see the last 20 seconds...Ed and his family just welcomed a new baby 2 days ago! The day before the segement aired. I posted asking about clarifying the chiles in the reaper cross but they have moreimportant things to attend to. like.....a BABY! :woohoo:

Just got a confirmation from Ed that Yes, the Carolina Reaper is a cross between a Habanero and a Naga.  He said he still has the original plants.  They had to keep the plants for genetic testing or something to proof that it was actually his plants and his cross and not someone else's pods.

salsalady said:
Just got a confirmation from Ed that Yes, the Carolina Reaper is a cross between a Habanero and a Naga.  He said he still has the original plants.  They had to keep the plants for genetic testing or something to proof that it was actually his plants and his cross and not someone else's pods.
Thanks for the confirmation.

Given the economics involved, I surprised that Ed gave away the secret.

1000 people could cross those 2 varieties and still might not be able to recreate those exact characteristics of the HP22B .... Also by the time they have stabilised their version 6-8 generations later (probably at least 3 years work) there will be a newer chilli everyone wants to grow .... No big deal exposing his breeding at this point

Trippa said:
1000 people could cross those 2 varieties and still might not be able to recreate those exact characteristics of the HP22B .... Also by the time they have stabilised their version 6-8 generations later (probably at least 3 years work) there will be a newer chilli everyone wants to grow .... No big deal exposing his breeding at this point
Agreed. Most importantly, the seeds are out all over the world. The economic advantage is really in the first season of the release.

dragon49 said:
The article claims that the Carolina Reaper is a simple cross between a sweet Habanero and a Pakistani Naga.

First of all, I don't believe this.

Second of all, why would Ed give away the secret??
The Reapers sure dont resemble a Naga x hab to me either. It looks like a Primo x Moruga or a Primo x Brainstrain something crossed with a Primo basically. Guess we will have to Take Eds word for it.

Back