• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Fast sprouting!

I sowed 42 Kenaf Hibiscus seeds Saturday afternoon - at least six of them are up today. When I was ordering seeds, I bought two packages of these from rareseeds.com (minimum of 10 seeds) for like $4 a package. I planted 42 seeds total.

What's great to see is that some nurseries around here are offering a smaller cultivar of the species (these plants are suppose to grow to 15-18' - the ones they are offering grow 4-6') for $13.50 per one-gallon container. I'm going to offer them for $10 each.

I can handle selling 40 of these - I'll be happy with 10!

Mike

Pam,

We have a garden in the front of the house. The hibiscus will frame it, so to speak. In the middle I plan to have a fountain with Pink Angels Trumpets behind it. On the sides will be Indiana Giant Cockcomb, Black Peony Poppies, White Peony Poppies and some other plants left from this year.

I'm hoping to figure out how to add some solar-powered lights in/on/behind the fountain that will also show off the Trumpets.

Don't know if is true or not but lots of people have told me that if I have a plant with blooms, gullible people will buy it.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Pam,

We have a garden in the front of the house. The hibiscus will frame it, so to speak. In the middle I plan to have a fountain with Pink Angels Trumpets behind it. On the sides will be Indiana Giant Cockcomb, Black Peony Poppies, White Peony Poppies and some other plants left from this year.

Sounds beautiful. Poppies are another one of those flowers that don't always do well done here because of the heat. Variety selection is important.

I'm hoping to figure out how to add some solar-powered lights in/on/behind the fountain that will also show off the Trumpets.

A lot of solar lights come with almost no installation, you just put them out there and let them work. We did some along my mother's sidewalk for her that were like that. They aren't terribly bright, though. Were you trying for something with more illumination?

Don't know if is true or not but lots of people have told me that if I have a plant with blooms, gullible people will buy it.

Mike

I think I'm one of those people. and, yeah, that's my experience. If it blooms, they will buy it. Same with any tomatoes or peppers you're trying to sell, If it has fruit on it, it will sell.

Pam,

I just want a subtle hint of light in the back of the waterfall - I would love to find some solar powered LED Christmas lights!

The hibiscus - and this is the first year I've ever heard of them, let alone sown them, are growing way too fast. They are more than an inch tall after one day. I know they will slow down, but I wonder what a 2' plant will be worth?!

Doubt I'll have any blooms on the toms or peppers but no one in Ohio really expects that. Lush, 8-10" plants with 4-5 sets of leaves - these people are happier than hogs in mud to grab these up. That's one reason for trying to find a fert that is not high in Nitrogen - in 12 weeks they will be high enough.

Mike

Back