• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Fatal Lemon Ghost of the Caribbean SIMPLE SAUCE RECIPE

Fatalis, Aji Lemon Drops, Caribbean Habanero, Bhut Jolokia (Ghost Pepper)...

Take the fresh peppers off the organic tree limbs. Proceed to wash, halve & deseed them, do not worry if a few seeds sneak in...

Next, blend said peppers into a puree'...
then place puree' in mason jar of your choice filling each about halfway up the jar leaving room for the peppers to rise during fermentation. Cover the top of purree'd peppers IN JAR with thin but complete layer of kosher salt...

Place new mason jar tops on and tighten rings. Pressure cook at 15 psi for 20-30 minutes... let depressurize...

Store mash in dark closet for at least one year, i usually do at least two...

At this point, your fermented mash will be ready to be made into sauce. Pour mash directly into sanitized blender. Fill the mash jar about one third the way up where the mash was with vinegar of your choice (NOT one third of the jar, one third of the volume of the mash by eye). Add to blender. Next add xanthan gum, and a couple of cloves of freshly roasted garlic (ok to bypass garlic if you like) Blend to desired consistency... If too thick add distilled water...

Transfer to sanitized 5oz. sauce jars. Refrigerate.

Was asked to throw some recipes out there and this is basically how i make all my sauces. Simple and to the point. I feel the most important step is allowing the mash years of time to age and develop its full flavor potential. Thank you. Look for a beer recipe on the way...

Interesting method. Excuse my thought process but it seems to me that the pressure canning process will kill any bacteria needed for fermenting and what you are doing instead is simply aging the peppers.
If it truly is fermenting, how do you keep the jars from unsealing from the fermentation gasses building pressure inside the jar?

I'm still very new to fermenting and am realizing there are many ways to do it. It seems that this is yet another way to do it :dance:

Hawaiianero said:
Interesting method. Excuse my thought process but it seems to me that the pressure canning process will kill any bacteria needed for fermenting and what you are doing instead is simply aging the peppers.
If it truly is fermenting, how do you keep the jars from unsealing from the fermentation gasses building pressure inside the jar?

I'm still very new to fermenting and am realizing there are many ways to do it. It seems that this is yet another way to do it :dance:
Right, i dont know how it works to be honest, ive seen everyone with their bubble locks, i use for beer ferming... but with this method I can say that the peppers rise within the jar, liquid to the bottom the fermentation seems to be taking place within the jar. Maybe it is just an age, but in the beginning I was hesitant to "put the top on loosely" as I was intructed to do for fear of bad bacteria getting inside... and thus went with this method. We need a true scientist to tell us if this is a true ferm or not I guess... but from what i see with my eyes it is... Wouldnt the peppers just be the same if it wasnt ferming in the jar? as opposed to the solids rising up?

If it's pressure canned I don't see how it would ferment after canning.  That mash would certainly age, and the finished product that was then decanted would probably look like a fermented mash.  Just don't see how lacto is surviving the heat at pressure canning temps.  

edit: not trying to harsh your mellow H&H.  legitimately wondering about the process.

Well if it's separating something must be going on :think:

No problem with jars bursting either?
What size jars do you use?

I want to try this.

Right now I have a quart jar of mash fermenting with an airlock the way SmokenFire showed me, and I have another quart jar of mash with nothing but white vinegar and no airlock but I do open it once a week. Gotta try this method next.

No harshing my mellow bro thats... imposible... Everting is irie But yea id like to know as well... im not an expert by no means just stayed the course with this mash technique and when i saw the rise and the oils produced or becoming visible i assumed it was ferming inside..
SmokenFire said:
If it's pressure canned I don't see how it would ferment after canning.  That mash would certainly age, and the finished product that was then decanted would probably look like a fermented mash.  Just don't see how lacto is surviving the heat at pressure canning temps.  

edit: not trying to harsh your mellow H&H.  legitimately wondering about the process.
yes sir, i use different size jars depending on how much mash i have... i am going to post some pics.. and i will say this as i have years old mashes.. in my early days i water bathed before moving to a small pressure cooker and now i have the big one with different settings... i will say i notice less rise in my newer mashes so perhaps that was playing a part... i have never had a problem with the tops bursting off or jars breaking... but the top has been pushed up before.. tho it was still sealed... i tossed that one because the top of mash that had risen upward was looking a little off color... it smelled good and probably was but i tossed it rather than take a chance.. http://pho.to/8dndw that is a pic of one that is a bit more than a year old... see the rise in the middle, and ive had older ones whose hump is more profound
Hawaiianero said:
Well if it's separating something must be going on :think:

No problem with jars bursting either?
What size jars do you use?

I want to try this.

Right now I have a quart jar of mash fermenting with an airlock the way SmokenFire showed me, and I have another quart jar of mash with nothing but white vinegar and no airlock but I do open it once a week. Gotta try this method next.

This is actually a great method of making a mash. Whether it is a ferment or an aging technique doesn't really matter. Just comes down to if it makes a good sauce or not. I use this exact method as well, perhaps we learned from the same ancient sensei. Although the flavor continues to develop over time, even years as you state, I have found just a few months will create that aged mash flavor...which is great if you don't have a backlog of mash stored in a basement closet. Very unique, thanks for sharing hops&habas. Looking for that beer recipe next!!!

hmm well yes... perhaps we have...
Genetikx said:
This is actually a great method of making a mash. Whether it is a ferment or an aging technique doesn't really matter. Just comes down to if it makes a good sauce or not. I use this exact method as well, perhaps we learned from the same ancient sensei. Although the flavor continues to develop over time, even years as you state, I have found just a few months will create that aged mash flavor...which is great if you don't have a backlog of mash stored in a basement closet. Very unique, thanks for sharing hops&habas. Looking for that beer recipe next!!!

SmokenFire said:

Agree. Even botulism spores are dead (assuming it was pressure canned at the right pressure for the correct amount of time).

I think we're looking at aging here.

jm2c

edit: After re-reading, I don't think this really is aging, as it relates to fermentation. Its more like natural decomposition.

Hops&Habas said:
What are the benefits of fermenting vs. aging?

I don't think its an "either/or" type thing. Its more like one, optionally followed by the other lol. (fermentation, optionally followed by aging).

I believe it is fermenting especially if the presence of Co2 in the brew is evident, but without the addition of salt mixed in, it runs the chance of having some bad bacteria growth. Salt inhibits bad bacteria, while the good flourishes under its presence, unless its content is too high in which case some beneficial bacteria growth is stunted. I am not saying you can't ferment this way, but I do believe the risk is higher for failure because some of the bad bacteria might be present on the actual peppers or other ingredients. Without the salt to stunt those bad ones, they can now compete with the good. The other thing is the salt layer. After it starts really getting going, the gases will break through this layer and leave it exposed to bacteria from outside. I think it would be a good idea if a small amount of salt would be added to this method. Its a good method because the layer of salt should inhibit yeasts and mold spores though. This has given me an idea, continue fermenting the way I have been, but after the main fermentation is finished and its approaching aging time, then add the layer of salt to help prevent yeast growth during aging. I have thrown a few out when the amounts of kahm yeast growth just was too high for my liking. Plus it does change the smell and flavor if too much is present. Perhaps I should lower the salt content just a bit during fermentation, understanding that the added salt layer during its aging process will increase its content. I certainly don't know it all, and if you factor in adding some starter and washing the vegetables and having very clean conditions, it may might not matter.

As DownRiver said, aging comes after fermentation. Aging has several benefits, one major one is flavor. Certain ingredients can produce a very strong flavor and smell when fermented, but aging the sauce will mellow that out, and sort of 'cook' the sauce. Meaning, in a similar way how cooking food can take away that "raw" flavor of certain foods, the aging process can just really improve its flavor and remove certain unpleasant tastes. The new habanero sauce that is currently aging has already mellowed out the garlic, onions and shallots. When it finished its primary fermentation, it had an extremely sharp smell to it, but after smelling it recently that sharpness has disappeared followed by a more complex and agreeable smell.

If the jars have been properly pressure canned ( which H&H's step-by-step indicates), there is no bacteria (good or bad) in the jars.  It is natural for food bits to float up in jars.  Happens all the time with canned fruits, tomatoes, green beans....  The peppers will definitely "age" over time and make a different flavor chile puree, but there won't be any fermentation taking place in the pressure canned jars.  

Great way to preserve and enhance the chiles.  Thanks for sharing.

I've seen a lot of ferments gone bad with mold growth. Can't say I've seen that using this method even after a year of aging. I'm also no alchemy or salumi expert, but if pork can hang in an open air closet for 24 months with nothing but a layer of salt to cure it, I don't see how bad bacteria can thrive here after proper pressure canning. There's always the issue of having a sterile environment but to me, this is the way to go. To each his own

Oh. ok.
DownRiver said:

I don't think its an "either/or" type thing. Its more like one, optionally followed by the other lol. (fermentation, optionally followed by aging).
Thanks yea i pull out mashes from 2012 & make a sauce its flavor is defintely enhanced over time. Love your avatar btw.
salsalady said:
If the jars have been properly pressure canned ( which H&H's step-by-step indicates), there is no bacteria (good or bad) in the jars.  It is natural for food bits to float up in jars.  Happens all the time with canned fruits, tomatoes, green beans....  The peppers will definitely "age" over time and make a different flavor chile puree, but there won't be any fermentation taking place in the pressure canned jars.  

Great way to preserve and enhance the chiles.  Thanks for sharing.
Never had mold growth issue my friend. Seems you havent either, go figure.
Genetikx said:
I've seen a lot of ferments gone bad with mold growth. Can't say I've seen that using this method even after a year of aging. I'm also no alchemy or salumi expert, but if pork can hang in an open air closet for 24 months with nothing but a layer of salt to cure it, I don't see how bad bacteria can thrive here after proper pressure canning. There's always the issue of having a sterile environment but to me, this is the way to go. To each his own
All good Aaron but yea some were water bathed not pressure canned, so idk but i do know that theres a great activity taking place in the jar defintely take what you can from the technique regardless and splice it with your own sometimes these are where great and better methods are born. Look forward to more of your sauce posts.
AaronTT said:
My mistake, I must have missed the part about canning immediately after processing. No bacteria will survive that if done right.

Back