• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fatalii Production

I'm trying to plan my 2020 grow and it's not easy as most of you know.  There are so many seeds that I've accumulated in the past year and I just can't grow them all.

Datil's used to be my favorite but since I bought a SFRB of fatalii's from member Hillbilly Jeff and made sauce out of them my mind......and taste has changed.  (The datil will still be grown but.......) The fatalii is awesome and it is definitely on the list for this coming season.  I just don't know how many to plan for.  

How productive is the fatalii?  I googled it and some results say it's is very productive but "how much so" is my question.  How many pods from a single plant?

I really like the simple sauce I made but I only got a little over 5-5 ounce bottles out of what I bought and fermented.  I think there are only 2 bottles left so I want to be able to make quite a bit more next year.

Thanks for the help

Tybo said:
I'm trying to plan my 2020 grow There are so many seeds that I've accumulated in the past year and I just can't grow them all.

Datil's used to be my favorite but since I bought a SFRB of fatalii's from member Hillbilly Jeff and made sauce out of them my mind......and taste has changed.  (The datil will still be grown but.......) The fatalii is awesome and it is definitely on the list for this coming season.  I just don't know how many to plan for.  

How productive is the fatalii?  I googled it and some results say it's is very productive but "how much so" is my question.  How many pods from a single plant?

I really like the simple sauce I made but I only got a little over 5-5 ounce bottles out of what I bought and fermented.  I think there are only 2 bottles left so I want to be able to make quite a bit more next year.

Thanks for the help

Let's concentrate on your sauce requirement, more than 5 bottles (So 10 to 15 should suffice?) How many pods were in the SFRB? Count on 10 ripe pods per plant equals how many plants? Now plan the Datils and others......

how big a plant gets and how much it produces is very dependent on growing conditions... 
From mega greenhouse plants to bonchi to some plants someone threw in an old pot.
also dependent on genetics

fatalii has chinense production similar to ghosts

yXpOhmj.png

I agree that there are many variables, from the soil/media/method your using, to the length of your season, to the prevailing weather conditions during that season, to the individual genetic idiosyncrasies of a particular plant.

That being said, the only problem I've ever had with Fataliis has been to do with germination. I seldom have trouble getting seeds to pop, but I've faced consistent challenges with Fataliis and Scotch Brains. As production goes, my experience has been that Fataliis produce late, even by chinense standards, but they produce many pods per plant. I never bothered to count, but I've been consistently impressed with their fecundity. They're pretty Hardcore.

Bicycle808 said:
.... I seldom have trouble getting seeds to pop, but I've faced consistent challenges with Fataliis.....

Fatalii always make problems to germinate, but I got a solution!

Soak the seeds 2 days at RT preferable in a 1% solution of saltpeter (KNO3) in destilled water (battery water) and then let germ between wet kitchen paper in a box at around 29°C ( 84F)
Saltpeter normally is available in a local stores that sell fertilizers for agriculture.

Whereas sowing without treatment in soil gave less than 10% germination, after treatment and in the box the germination rate jumped to above 90% !!

Question, particularly for those of you who have posted pictures: I'm seeing yellow pods here, but the Fataliis that were chosen for the current growdown are marked as ripening to orange. Are those likely to be a different pheno, or is the progression to orange just something that happens later than these photos were taken?

internationalfish said:
Question, particularly for those of you who have posted pictures: I'm seeing yellow pods here, but the Fataliis that were chosen for the current growdown are marked as ripening to orange. Are those likely to be a different pheno, or is the progression to orange just something that happens later than these photos were taken?
I'm not entirely sure here, but I believe many fatalis are yellow when ripe. The growdown ones are orange. Much the same as we see habanero in various colors. Someone will be along soon to show how wrong I am here.

I do not know how much it matters, but, the ones for the growdown are the heirlooms and a lot of the others being sold may or may not be true to the original strain.

The Fatalii I grow have a distinctly yellow pod with prominent ridging, which is what I've been used to seeing for years.  They don't transition through or to an orange color; it's a very bright and pure yellow.  They might (might) be very slightly thinner/longer than some of MikeUSMC's pods in the above pic, but they are at the least highly similar.  SSE's orange color in their package photo definitely appears different. 

SSE has to get their seeds somewhere, and I don't think it should be taken as gospel that just because they are banking a particular variety it's the "official" example of that variety.  That's not to say their example isn't good, or even potentially better (I've never tried it), just that to me it looks different.  As FYI, the variety I have came from Semillas la Palma.

CaneDog said:
The Fatalii I grow have a distinctly yellow pod with prominent ridging, which is what I've been used to seeing for years.  They don't transition through or to an orange color; it's a very bright and pure yellow.  They might (might) be very slightly thinner/longer than some of MikeUSMC's pods in the above pic, but they are at the least highly similar.  SSE's orange color in their package photo definitely appears different. 

SSE has to get their seeds somewhere, and I don't think it should be taken as gospel that just because they are banking a particular variety it's the "official" example of that variety.  That's not to say their example isn't good, or even potentially better (I've never tried it), just that to me it looks different.  As FYI, the variety I have came from Semillas la Palma.
My experience as well.  I've grown out seeds from multiple sources .... they all were a pure yellow.  Very similar to a Bhut in size, shape and habit.  Never grown an orange one but I've been told that sometimes the yellow will throw orange fruit and I think some folks have captured this one and market it.  

To throw my experience into the discussion, i have seen chiles marketed as Orange Fatalii that are truly orange in color, and the pods seen to be more attenuate... I've never been tempted to grow those, as my intuition tells me that they're not "real" Fataliis, for whatever that's worth (probably not much...) I've had Red "Fataliis" in mixed boxes and, while there's nothing wrong with them, they didn't seem to have much Fatalii character going on. They were just pointy, red Chinense. Flavor was markedly different, and i felt like the phenos lacked the "shoulders" that i expect from a good, old school Fatalii.

All that being said, i grew several Fatalii plants over the course of 2 years (failed to germinate any last year...) And they go from green to a bright, lemony yellow. Like many other yellow Chinense (eg, Scotch Bonnets, yellow Bhuts, yellow Brainstrains), they will get a bit farther and take on a very slight orange-ish tone if allowed to fully ripen, but they don't quite get orange, really. To my eye, they go from lemon yellow to schoolbus yellow, if that makes sense.

semillas said:

Fatalii always make problems to germinate, but I got a solution!

Soak the seeds 2 days at RT preferable in a 1% solution of saltpeter (KNO3) in destilled water (battery water) and then let germ between wet kitchen paper in a box at around 29°C ( 84F)

Saltpeter normally is available in a local stores that sell fertilizers for agriculture.

Whereas sowing without treatment in soil gave less than 10% germination, after treatment and in the box the germination rate jumped to above 90% !!
Thanks for the germination tips, Peter. I've ordered seeds from you reach year, over the seasons, and the only seeds i ever got from SDP that struggled to germinate have been your Fatalii. (All other varieties had 90%+ successful germ rates...) This year, I'll give it another shot using the method you just described above. I appreciate the advice, and the excellent selection of quality seeds you offer...

Back