• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Fatalliman's second sauce review

"First impression: One whiff of the habanero lets you know that these habs were only chocolate in color, not in substance. Besides that characteristic habanero aroma, you could definitely pick up the hint of other spices but none which were overwhelming. I preferred to remove the plastic pourer/cap so I could get more out of the bottle, since going one drop at a time wasn’t going to satisfy me after I had tasted the sauce.

Taste: This sauce is quite complex. Linda and I have both tasted this sauce now on several occasions, and its heat seems to vary with the food choice…almost like a doppelganger would blend. One of us would think it was quite hot while the other would remark at its relative mildness for a habanero sauce. The cocoa powder and molasses balances the habanero heat quite nicely, and it gives an overall medium-hot sauce with hints of sweet overtones. We used this on everything from gumbo to pasta dishes to Mexican food, and it complemented them all without adversely affecting the flavor of the food. We really didn’t try it on lighter meats like fish and chicken, but this would probably be a good choice to add to a marinade. If you’re brave, try simply pouring some over the cooked meat as a finishing-type sauce.

That sounds really neat. Taking the idea of a 'chocolate habanero" to the next level....not just color but actually creating the flavor.."chocolate Habanero". I know Kato makes habanero chocolate bars but this is the first time I've heard of it in a sauce.

Marv, we ARE really going to have to trade. 8)

Lin & Joe,
Thanks for taking the time to review my sauces.

Chuk, I'll send you a bottle of the Yankee/Rebel next week.
But my last two bottles of coco loco are already spoken for,
I do have a bag full of choco habs left and when I make the the next batch, your name will be on the top of the send out list.

Marv

Back