Favas (a.k.a. Broad Beans)

I don't think I've ever eaten Favas before. I've looked for them at my grocer's in the past, but never found them, as I like to try things I haven't before. About a week ago I saw they started carrying cans of them, so picked one up. Opened it just now and tried one. Hm. Not my fav plain, but I can see where adding a little goo-ga (that's the technical term) might help. In sticking with the Asian theme of our entree, I threw on some garlic, ginger, lemongrass, and some sort of dried chile powder. Tasted again, and thought "better, but...." and threw on some tequila. Still not quite there, but whatev. It's too close to dinner time (chicken will be off the grill in just a few), so I'm not spending any more time on them for now.

So what do you season Favas with? I can see a barbecue sauce would go nicely, but any other suggestions?

Fava's?

Invite an old friend to dinner and serve with a nice chianti.

Myself, I don't care for them at all.

I season them with a 13 gal. white Glad bag.

LOL - Gotta admit I'm kind of with you on that. The texture was sort of..... sort of.... meh. Not "bad", just not particularly good. And weird flavor. I guess that's why I was thinking barbecue sauce - drown them, if nothing else. But I understand some people really like them, so am wondering whether it's just a matter of seasoning, or if it's just going to be a personal not-on-my-favorites-list thing.

Maybe "gritty" is what I was thinking about the texture....

Perhaps the canned ones suck? I don't know. I had some fresh cooked favas a few years ago, and thought they were fantastic. I don't even think they were seasoned with anything other than salt and butter. Unfortunately I haven't come across them since, so I've never tried cooking them myself.

I have no basis for comparison, as I really think this is the first time I've tried them. Straight off the plant usually yields the best flavor, so it could well be that fresh would have produced a different experience. However, I'm not going to grow them just to see if I like them or not - I've never seen fresh ones at the market here. But thanks for weighing in!

i used them in a soup but wasn't aware that the bean itself also had to be peeled or at least the can i purchased was still shelled. after trying to chew through the peel, i realized i was doing something wrong. so, i left all the beans until the end of my bowl of soup, then peeled them and ate them. after that, i never bought fava again, perhaps next time i go out shopping, i'll check to see if the label says peeled!

Hmm.... I don't think these were unpeeled. They were Progresso brand. The website says they're "soaked", but doesn't mention peeled or unpeeled. Still, my impression is that they were peeled - I wasn't fighting chewing anything rubbery, for example. I read on some other site that fava's have a "buttery" texture - that was definitely not true for these. As I mentioned before, they came across as kind of gritty - more like the beans had been dried, then rehydrated and cooked, but not cooked thoroughly. Don't know that I'll try them again, but we'll see!.

Back