• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Favorite and/or hottest cayenne type?

I liked the cayenne peppers I grew this year (Pepper Joe Cayenne) - they had good with some sweetness like a red bell pepper with a little heat.

I won't be ordering from Pepper Joe again (I'll have a full review of all the seeds I got from him, some were great, some were OK, some were not so much) so I'm looking for a new source for a good cayenne pepper.

Any recommendations?

Pineapple , lemon, Omni , amirillo, cito, cristal. The cito is the hottest in that group . These Aji's have replaced Thai and cayenne peppers in my garden because of their more fruity / citrus flavor which I prefer.

One of my favorite peppers ever was the pinocchio cayenne F1 hybrid from park seed, but they no longer have it in stock...   It produced huge, sweet peppers with thick walls and full on cayenne flavor with boosted sugar content... and the plants would be loaded with them...literally 3/4 of the entire visual appearance of the plant would be peppers.   I have been searching for a replacement ever since I ran out seed.  As yet, I have not found one like it.  There is a 'pinocchio's nose' pepper that looks intriguing (very similar in habit), but it does seem to have slightly thinner pods than the F1 hybrid I was growing. In 2015 I trialed ristra cayenne and like it ok. This season I really really liked the bangalore whippets tail and corbaci peppers, which are somewhat cayenne-like.  I really did not like joe's long red cayenne... the peppers were decent when they finally did ripen, but the plants were slow to set fruit... and then they took forever to ripen ;-/    Turkish cayenne was decent and produced very well, but was not as attractive as corbaci or bangalore whippets tail.     Next season I will be trialing pinocchio's nose (if I can find it), thundermountian longhorn chili, and comet's tail as new additions to my cayenne-type collection.

This year I grew "ordinary" cayennes.  OK but nothing special.  Next year I am planning to grow Ring of Fire, which is supposed to be hotter but also easy to grow and prolific.  Also Golden Cayenne which is also hotter than standard plus has a better flavour and of course the yellow colour.  But as I haven't tried them yet, I can't say for definite how good they are.  

I'm also going to try Aji Lemon Drop (I see others have recommended ajis) because everyone who has grown it seems to love it.  But it's a different species of capsicum, so quite different from a cayenne.

Back