• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Favorite fresh-eating pepper?

Just ate a TFM Scotch Bonnet. Very good! I think I like it more than the MoA! Though so far the chocolate SB is the king of the bonnets I've had. It didn't rock me as hard as the MoA did, but this time I was smart enough to have had lunch and then I drank a glass of chocolate milk before eating it.

I ALWAYS get impatient and eat the first fresh pod of the year on an empty stomach! lol....maybe I'll learn someday.

wrinklenuts said:
Serrano peppers are so darn good. I love them!
Yeah they taste awesome and they're hot enough to be interesting, but not so hot that weakhearts can't handle them... And the perfect heat level to just keep poppin'm in your mouth, true snacking-peppers.... If been growing HotRod Serranos, which taste good... Little hotter than other Serranos, but it turns out, the HorRods just don't have that juice factor...I think that's my favorite aspect. The juice adds to the experience.
Ghaleon said:
Just ate a TFM Scotch Bonnet. Very good! I think I like it more than the MoA! Though so far the chocolate SB is the king of the bonnets I've had. It didn't rock me as hard as the MoA did, but this time I was smart enough to have had lunch and then I drank a glass of chocolate milk before eating it.
I've been snacking TFMs like mad, now that they're finally coming in ripe. Trying hard to find a new favorite Bonnet, but the TFM is still my all-time favorite. Hardy, productive, with big and interesting pods. Taste great sliced up with cheese and crackers.

I cut a sliver off of it and let my ten year old son eat it. I didn't cut it to the center. He got a "fresh flake" and he said he didn't get much heat but he really liked the flavor!

The Brazilian Starfish peppers I got last year were pretty solid and there didn't seem to be enough room inside of them to put much of anything.

The Brazilian Starfish that I grew a few years ago were about 2" in diameter and maybe 1" deep. I could use a paring knife to remove the core, and thereby the seeds and most of the placenta, leaving room for a bite sized dab of cream cheese. The cream cheese would smooth over what heat was left in the pepper. Delicious.

I figured with that small of an amount of space, anything I put inside of it would mostly bubble out as I heated it.

MY PLAN was to get airy peppers that aren't TOO large and heat liquid cheese on the stove and put two pinholes in the top of the pepper. One to inject the cheese and the other to allow the air to exit the pepper. I have no plans to roast the pepper, just have it nice and fresh with hot cheese inside of it. I've yet to do this, though. What do you guys think?

Personally, I'd just cut a piece off the top and fill it without worrying about "injecting". Just cut a slab off and fill the rest with the cheese, then if you want to just put the cut off piece back over top the hole

I've tried that. The top tends to fall over because of the bubbling of the cheese inside. What I intended to stay inside the pepper ends up all over it.

Has anyone done it the way I described? What were your results?

faalcon said:
Started growing them last year, Red Rocoto , cannot keep my hands off them.
I'm going to try red roccotos next year. They sound great, I'm already planning and scheming for next season.

I don't usually eat my pods straight but I do eat them fresh chopped on my food quite often. My favourite this year has to be my own Lemon Drop x Burning Bush, the flavour is like a lemon drop with habanero tones and the burn is intense yet quick to fade. It gives my mouth a chance to reset before I have another bite which I like. 

Back