• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Favorite Jalapeno and Cayenne

I am about done with my superhot list for next season. I have even settled on the rare and wild strains I am gonna grow. Now it is time for the others.

I was planning on growing some red and yellow bells, anchos, jals, and cayennes. I think I have narrowed down the first three, but haven't decided on the last two. I plan on growing 2-3 plants for each type, and wanted to get your take on your favorites. I am considering heat, production, taste, how they dry and powder, and shape/size. I have read a bunch about the biker billys and NUMEX, but aside from that my last few months have been consumed with supers. Go figure.... But I appreciate any recommendations you may have. I figured this could double as a "My Favorite..." thread. Also, if you are really partial to another ancho/bell or any "southwestern" style chili I am all for it. Thanks guys.

I've been growing Numex Pinata and Early Jalapeno this year and I liked the pinata alot. They have more flavour and heat. Since I was a bit late I only tasted a couple and are still waiting for some pods to ripen off. I can send you some seeds when I harvested them if you are interested.

BIKER BILLY OR JOLORO JALAPENO

CAROLINA CAYENNE
not much of a Jal cayenne fan though
YOUR FRIEND AJIJOE

I have to agree with the thought of the Biker Billy. It is my favorite all around pepper to eat. It would be my choice if I could only have one even though it does not have the heat.

My favorite jalapeno for flavor right now is the purple jalapeno - I absolutely love them. I also grow Billy Bikers, M's and TAM's. A ripe purple has a brighter flavor than the others. The thing to be aware of with the purples, however, is that they tend to be fairly small - about the same size as the TAM's, some even smaller. They are also fairly seedy. IMO, though, the flavor makes up for these factors, to make it worth growing if you're looking for a more "personal" pod. (ie - May be too much of a hassle if you're trying to mass-produce for sauces.) The heat of my purples has varied greatly, from almost no heat to hotter-than-expected, but still milder than the M or BB - more similar to the TAM's.

I also tried purple cayennes this year, but wasn't happy with them. In part this was because the plants weren't as hardy as others - they succumbed to some kind of problem pretty quickly, and I ended up tossing them. But also, the pods were very small, thin, and extremely seedy - it was a PITA to deseed them and I didn't get as much flesh from them as hoped, given the amount of effort to deseed.

Patzcuaro Jalapeno (Variety from Mexico). When Green there darker than a normal Jalapeno then when red they have a sweet taste with more heat.

I know they aren't officially Cayennes BUT I would highly recommend the Indian(from India that is) varieties "Jwala" and "Aruna" Both were ridiculously prolific, and resistant to disease and weather. They were both hotter than any cayenne I ever tried however the Jwala seemed to get hotter as the season progressed (the first pods were as hot as an average cayenne). The "Aruna" was as hot as a Thai chile, possibly hotter. I know some people have had bad experiences with Jwalas, but the ones I got from an Indian(from New Jersey) online vendor did not disappoint whatsoever! I won't advertise the source here but if you (or anyone reading this) is interested PM me and I'll let you know where I got them. Oh yeah, forgot to mention they both had great flavor as well!

I'm still trying to figure out the Jalapeno thing myself. I love "Early" Jalapenos, but they are very susceptible to BLS and what not, and just look terrible, but still somehow produce through the season? I think I'll try a BLS resistant hybrid next year like Johnny seed's "El Jefe".

NuMex Jalmundo: (1st yr) Good producer, egg-shaped, meaty, juicy, nice flavor.
Biker Billy: Prolific, huge, meaty, nice flavor.
Golden Cayenne Good producer, thin-walled, dries easy, good heat, nice flavor. Great in "light-colored" dishes.
Turkish Cayenne Prolific, thin-walled, dries easy, fair heat, excellent flavor.

Four of my favorites that can be found in my garden every year.

I grew Mucho Nacho quite a few years ago and I remember being quite pleased with them! I imagine the difference in growing location may have something to do with the different experiences?

I never had any real problem with mucho nacho other than them being hybrids, or at least being listed as hybrids

Wow! A ton of great ideas. I think that the Biker Billys are a must for next year, and Jamie is gonna send me a few Cayenne Seeds to try out. Would you all go with 2 Biker Billy plants, or 1 BB and 1 Other?

I didn't like the taste of 'em... they didn't really taste like a Jalapeno to me. Not a sweet enough flavour for a Jalapeno IMO.

However, I don't even know if the variety was really Mucho Nacho though. I did after all buy the thing as an already established plant from a nursery.....

Back