• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

favorite Favorite Mayo

Well, ive always been a huge fan of Hellmans. I grew up on it. Tried Dukes in the past and it was ok but nothing really thrilled me. Lately ive gotten quite found of it so ive been getting it. I got some Hellmans Homestyle to try and finally found some Blue Plate to try. Cant find Blue Plate around here but found a good deal on some at Amazon.

Trying to decide which to open first, the "Homestyle" or Blue Plate. Gunna whip up some chicken salad and maybe some salmon salad. I still have a couple more days before it gets here and the weather improves enough for me to get to the store for the last couple items i need. I had a piece of wild caught sockeye on a sammie the other day with the Dukes. Man was that freaking tasty. I will probably use some cheaper salmon for the salad.

Celery
Red oinion
Chopped dill pickle or fresh dill with the salmon
Mayo..sometimes 50/50 with Miracle Whip
Dijon mustard
Dash of lemon juice or a good vinegar if it needs more "tang" to it
Steamed chicken breast or Salmon

Hellman's it too eggy for me (yes, I know it is eggs). And I always get mayo burps after. Anyone else? lol

I heard duke's is not as eggy but have never tried. I found I like the 365 brand from Whole Foods! It's really good, and not sure who makes it since it is rebranded, but it's great and cheap since it's their store brand.

Presidents choice PC is my fav, Hellmann's is good as well, Kirkland will do in a pinch .

Have never tried Duke's or the 360 but I think I would like them if they have a tangy vinegar edge.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Well, ive always been a huge fan of Hellmans. I grew up on it. Tried Dukes in the past and it was ok but nothing really thrilled me. Lately ive gotten quite found of it so ive been getting it. I got some Hellmans Homestyle to try and finally found some Blue Plate to try. Cant find Blue Plate around here but found a good deal on some at Amazon.

Up here in New England there's a hometown brand, Cain's Mayonnaise . I bought the competing brand once because it was on sale, Hellmann's-YECK!

Lifted from YANKEE Magazine....As America’s #1 selling condiment (yes, mayo outsells even ketchup), I’ve learned that folks nationwide are passionate about their favorite brand of mayonnaise, and New England is no different. For those not in the Cain’s camp, another East Coast favorite is Hellmann’s (Best Foods on the West Coast), which a friend of mine (and fellow New Englander) prefers because she says it’s “savory, eggy, and thick, while Cains is too sweet.” Cains fans, on the other hand, praise the brand’s well-balanced flavor (“just right, without too much lemon or vinegar”) and accuse Hellmann’s of not being all-natural. Others still prefer Kraft mayo or the “tangy zip” of Miracle Whip, and there are Southern brands like Duke’s and Blue Plate that I’d never even heard of. Who know the world of mayo was such a minefield?

I don't know if it was a "conditioned" taste response (So many years of using Cains'?) but Hellmann's tasted "wrong". Thinner texture, funny taste etc... Sorta like Miracle Whip.

The Hot Pepper said:
Hellman's it too eggy for me (yes, I know it is eggs). And I always get mayo burps after. Anyone else? lol

I heard duke's is not as eggy but have never tried. I found I like the 365 brand from Whole Foods! It's really good, and not sure who makes it since it is rebranded, but it's great and cheap since it's their store brand.
Dukes is all egg yolks so i cant imagine it being less eggy. Hellmanns has both whole eggs and yolks. Another difference is Dukes has no added sugar and has some cider vinegar. Hellmanns also has a little lemon juice. I like the texture of Hellmanns better but now i do prefer Dukes flavor.

dragonsfire said:
I make my own :D chose on flavors to add makes it more flavorful. Chipotle popular for me to add when making Mayo.
Hellmand Olive oil the one I choose in a pinch.
So many of the so called Olive Oil mayos are a sham. They are not only olive oil and in the case of Hellmanns its not even the first oil listed in the ingredients. To add insult to injury it has more sodium too. 125mg vs 90mg. The one i would like to try is Sr Kensingtons avocado oil mayo. Its all avocado oil and all yolks.

I tried Dukes mayo after watching the Dukes Mayo bowl game lol. They must a lot if they sponsor games. I don’t remember being wowed by the taste, haven’t really done any side by side comparisons. Will have to try the Blue Plate.

WarrantMan said:
I'm a hardcore Dukes fan. I try others from time to time - but always come back....
Main reason i even got the Dukes is my dads sodium restrictions and he tends to avoid added sugars. He LOVES Dukes. Now the sodium difference is rather small but the guy loves his mayo on a sammich. So he loads it up heavy. Side by side i thought both Dukes and Blue Plate were close and both were better than Hellmanns/Best Foods. Dukes i can buy locally but i got to order Blue Plate online. I can get it cheaper if i order a "food service" heavy in the gallon jar but thats a big ass jar to toss in the fridge.

A food service gallon of heavy mayo on Amazon is around $11 for Blue Plate. I just cant imagine i could use it up fast enough.
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Plate-Extra-Mayonnaise-Gallon/dp/B004P7RBXI

I love Dukes with tomato sandwiches, otherwise Kraft for me.

lol I buy it in the gallon container....since the regular size jars have more of one ingredient than another. I forget which 2...but I noticed the taste difference immediately one day when Sam's didn't have the gallon in stock. Yuck!

Hain is the best, particularly the safflower one. Get it in the health food store. No crap in it like most of the others mentioned.

Hain is the best, particularly the safflower one. Get it in the health food store. No crap in it like most of the others mentioned.
Last time I tried that one it had a funky aftertaste. Anyone else get mayo burps with some mayos? This one is really bad for that, for me.

We've tried them all over the years but my wife insists Hellmans is our favorite. All the different ones I've ever bought end up being my mayo. My wife don't give a hoot about ratings and reviews. All she wants is her Hellmans.

I like most of their products. Their special sauce is a little sour, love the dijon.

Back