• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite favorite newmex chili

What's your favorite new mexico type chili and why?

I personally do not know. Part of how I found THP was researching them online. I'm growing big jims and anaheims this year. Next year I plan to cut my varieties and put less emphasis on as many superhots and more on more 'useful' peppers such as the new mexico, poblanos, jalapenos and a cayenne types.

I chose big jims because the description says they're a hotter NM type chili. I got anaheims as a quick local store backup. Would like try sandias and 6-4s and maybe some of the better producing pods next year. Wife has me hooked on green chili and I love rellanos and stuffed chilis. Not to mention they add good genuine not so hot flavor to chili beans.

I like all kinds from mild(Sahuaro) to hot(Sandia) and apparently hotter(lumbre)
This year my most productive plants are my Sahuaro hybrids, likely due to heterosis or hybrid vigour.
Here's another thread where I got a couple of responses
http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?15866-Favorite-Ahaheim-type-pepper
This year I'm growing:
Joe E parker,
Numex sunset
Crimson hot
Sahuaro
Big chile

I also must admit that I'm not a big fan of green chile but absolutely love roasted reds

NewMex Big Jim. They are huge, thick walled, and make the best rellenos. Stuff them with Asadero cheese if you can find it. You will be hooked for life. They are usually medium hot, but sometimes they are as hot as Sandias. The Sandias and Lumbre are smaller and are thinner walled. If they are over roasted or not cooled down quickly (with water), they are not as good for stuffed rellenos. You cannot go wrong with Big Jim.

Beware, there have been many bad bigJim seeds going around forums and seed companies for years. Try to get your seeds from NMSU or a reliable source. I've been dissapointed with several sources and going by the bigJim challenge several years ago at thechileman.org, I believe many others have had the same problems

POTAWIE said:
Beware, there have been many bad bigJim seeds going around forums and seed companies for years. Try to get your seeds from NMSU or a reliable source. I've been dissapointed with several sources and going by the bigJim challenge several years ago at thechileman.org, I believe many others have had the same problems

Yep I had poor germination from the ones from peppergal. Got a couple to sprout. Will order from nmsu next year.

Another great source for seeds I can vouch for is here. hatch-chile.com. They are third generation chile farmers and their seeds are certified. They are just a few miles down the road from NMSU.

chileaddict, Im glad another on here can appreciate good green chile. Im still in the learning process obviously. I'm trying to get to where my wife says, it's good, but it's not like from back home. Don't know if I'll ever be able to give her good green chile like back in New Mexico, but that's one thing I'll try, because I like it too.

Potawie, I've not had them red roasted yet, actually have not had any of the large chiles like that fresh or freshly roasted...only canned. Sad to say. Never grown them myself. Praying my few Big Jims make it and grow into nice healthy productive plants. What do you do with the roasted reds?

I wish I had concentrated more on that type of chili, but I wanted to be cool and grow all kinds of super hots. I mean I don't have many comparatively speaking, but what the hell do you do with more than one or two varieties that will likely check out at over 500,000 on the scoville scale?

Oh well....maybe next year.

I'm not too crazy about anaheims, and given that most of NuMex's "popular" types seem to be of that style, I guess those ones are out.

However, I have a NuMex Twilight I just got recently... I'm hoping that it'll look at least half as good as some of the pics I've seen, but so far it only has a few peppers and needs transplanted in a pot and put out in the sun.

With lack of experience, I can't say what my favorites are. But so far, some of the ones I'm most interested in trying are: Centennial, Bailey Piquin, Jalmundo, Pinata, Vaquero, and Suave Orange/Red. Their "Halloween" holiday ornamental looks cool too... but then, Halloween is my favorite holiday.

I usually refer to them as Numex/Anaheim to avoid confusion although generally the term Numex chile refers to the these Anaheim types and not the ornamental and other types also developed by NMSU
I just love these peppers and couldn't do without!

I have the New Mex Anaheim and the Big Jim growing and love them. Plants getting really big and I have over 65 peppers on my Anaheims now. Great taste for all my mexican dishes including rellanos. Will be growing these again next year for sure.

I almost hate to read this thread. Makes me want some green chili and chili rellano badly. Chili rellano has to be the best damn dish on this planet.

I guess that was a stupid thing to ask.

I think that has got to be my favorite kind of pepper. I mean superhots are cool, but really? I could absolutely go through some anaheim/ Mew Mexico style chilis if I had them on hand. Hoping to get a decent crop this year.

Wifes friend makes an awesome rellano casserole out of poblanos or anaheim/ New Mexico style chilis, ground beef and cheese. Wife makes green chile enchilada type casserole, along with green chili on just about anything we eat if we have it. I could find a use for it every day, green or red.

How much do the anaheims differ from say Big Jims, 6-4's, etc...? Reason being, as it looks like I'm going to have a lot more anaheims this year than Big Jims. Rest assure the majority of my plants will be a New Mexico/ anaheim style next year.

Where does the poblano fall...what's it related to?

I almost hate to read this thread. Makes me want some green chili and chili rellano badly. Chili rellano has to be the best damn dish on this planet.
What's sad is that I've never had it. I have had stuffed bell peppers and jalapeno poppers though.

Maybe I should go to the local Tex-Mex restaurant and try it... I just checked their menu online and they have it. I just never noticed it, probably 'cause I didn't know what it is. Always went with stuff like burritos and enchiladas. It says it's a poblano though, not anaheim... IMO similar enough.

Wifes friend makes an awesome rellano casserole out of poblanos or anaheim/ New Mexico style chilis, ground beef and cheese. Wife makes green chile enchilada type casserole, along with green chili on just about anything we eat if we have it.

It is FORBIDDEN to make these brash statements without photo evidence. However, since it is so early in our growing season, RECIPES will suffice. :lol:

lol all it is, is layer of poblano, seasoned ground beef (chili powder, garlic salt, black pepper?), and shredded mexican blend cheese. repeat as much as necessary to achieve desired height in casserole dish lol

Back