• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Favorite pepper for flavor

I'm still putting together my growing last for the coming season but I haven't tasted more than about 5 or 6 varieties of hot pepper. I'm more interested in growing for flavor than for heat.

I know there have been polls on "what's your favorite pepper" but I'm wondering what hot peppers people like best based on flavor, regardless of heat level (but not counting non-hot peppers such as bell peppers).

There are just so many great flavors that its difficult to narrow it down, and it also depends on whether you're eating them fresh or cooking or preserving . I'd definitely recommend scotch bonnets for flavor(and heat). I'm also getting more into the milder mexican peppers. Cascabel peppers make a great smokey/earthy powder, as do Poblanos. I'm also trying Chimayo this year which is supposed to be very flavorful and multi-purpose. Last, I can't forget the chocolate habs, which are super hot but so smokey and flavorful and tepins and fatalii and jalapenos and.....

Even though I am a fan of REAL HOT peppers, I grow the Big Jim Numex for its size - taste- and heat. I have alot that run 10 to 12 inches long. You get alot of peppers per plant. When green they are very good, when red the sweet hits before the heat and for grilling they are great, the skin pulls off real easy and they are perfect for stuffing, nice thick flesh. Give them a try.

My Big Jims tasted bad this year too. I think they need a drier condition.
Have you ever tasted fresh-grown Guajillos? Mmmm...
I like Datils, SB, Marconis, Thai Hot, Black Hungarian, Czech Black, hmm.. many more.

Welcome to HHSauce

macmanmatty said:
Any C. Baccatum they all have a wonderful flavor
They remind me of celery.
I don't like that bitter sweet taste.
I will try some fresh ground Aji Cito pods today though, to see if drying helps.

Hey Aburningmouth, welcome to you too. Every year I hill my pepper rows, you can check out my garden pics on my web site. I keep them up and water as needed. If you see the tall plants in my pic's the tall ones were the Big Jim, add some lime and keep them high. Best results. You can't save them from excessive water.
My favorite is the Charleston Hot Cayenne, lots of heat and taste. 7 to 10 times hotter than a regular cayenne.

I just recieved my Naga Morich seeds in the mail. Can't wait to get them started for this years garden in Ohio. You can bet I will have a tasty sauce from this pepper!!!
Recieved some dried pods with the seeds, just a bit hesitant on tasting a piece of one. Maybe this weekend!

The best tasting mild peppers I've had are Binquinho Red and Aji Fantasy. Love em both, but I really can't get enough of the B. red.

Naga Smooky Rainbow is a delicious mid heat variety. Beautiful plant as well. Also love Bahamian Goat.

My favorite tasting superhot is the unpopular Skunk Chocolate pepper. Tastes great in sauce but even better straight up. I don't know why people don't like this variety, maybe because it is somewhat floral.

Back