• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Favorite scooping pepper?

Not sure if anyone else does this.  It comes from being lazy and not wanting to stuff peppers.  I will slice them in half length wise and then use them to scoop things like a thick blue cheese.  Been using hummus with Trinidad scorpion sweet.  Things thick like potato jalapeno are good for dipping, but a scooping pepper needs to be hollow and crunchy to get a good scoop.

So what is your favorite scooping pepper?

I've never done that before but my wife makes some killer hummus. I might have to give that a try with some Jalapenos and Bishops this weekend.

Gotta try this.  I personally like to whip up some hummus from scratch and just toss a pod or 2 in the food processor to heat it up that way.... but using half a pod as a scoop could be rad, too.

I love hummus too. I add a little mild hab sauce to the center and just scoop a little onto each pita chip. I prefer not to mix it in so i can eat it mild and hot.

BTW try Holy Land hummus. Its pretty dam good for a retail product, lower sodium and all natural.
dipTahini.jpg

I like my peppers cooked mostly, aji Amarillo makes good poppers.

Damn rabbits or cutworms ate all mine this year. Didn't get a single ripe one.

Commercial all natural hummus?  Obviously if you eat something fast, you dont need preservatives.  But I always figured it had to be in glass or metal to be heat pasteurized / all natural.  I wonder how they keep the nasties from growing.  Maybe a very early expiration date?

Those are pretty impressive ingredients for a commercial product.  For me, garbonzos are so danged cheap, i'm likely to make my own hummus 98% of the time.  I've yet to find a commercial product that can even come close to the hummus i make, and that's not me bragging.  Most homemade hummus stomps most commercial versions.  TBF, i've never tried Holy Land, but still.... hummus is cheap and easy to make, and you can customize the recipe to dial-in your favourite flavors.  Why pay more for the store-bought stuff? 

For years I've halved and hollowed a stack of serranos to take with me to parties.  If there isn't a spoon to load them up, I just use them kind of sideways to scoop up the dill or cream cheese dip that people inevitably have by their vegetable plate.  (Bonus points for contaminating the dip with cap oils.)  I find serrano have a perfect amount of green+heat for that kind of mindless snacking.  They go great with that pink salsa cream cheese stuff I frequently see at southern parties.

Back