• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Favorite superhots

I've noticed that my experience with the taste of "superhots" is fairly limited both from availability and a bit from fear. Of you other fire-eaters out there, what would you say is the best tasting of the superhots?

Jamaican Hot Chocolate (aka Choc. Hab.), Fatalii, Bhut Jolokia, Scotch Bonnet TFM in that order. Personal experience form peppers raised in my garden only. Trinidad Douglah was so “freaking” hot I couldn’t even tell you what it tasted like!

I'm partial to the Naga Morich and Bhut Jolokia. Trinidad Scorpion used to be my favorite, but I think I now prefer the Nagas. 7pot SR is also tasty and crazy hot.

My defintion of a super doesnt include alot of the suggestions listed. But as far as the best flavor..I prolly gotta go with Yellow 7, Followed by TS butch T.
I would say Yellow CARDII TS, but I dont consider that a super either.
Kevin

A lot of the above-mentioned peppers are hotter than Yellow 7's. As far as good-tasting "super" hots, I would probably say the BJ Carbon. Tastes similar to the "regular" Bhut, just a little sweeter. I still prefer to stick around the Cardi and Bonnets.

well, let's see...

Can't live without my 7 Pot bloody marys...best tasting mary I have ever made using the 7

Bhuts are cool for seasoning chili, but you still need some kind of annuum to give you the up-front burn like wild tepins or something...

Scorpions...I like the taste, but the burn is immediately harsh and if I am not careful, I hurt myself...

Bhuts are cool for seasoning chili, but you still need some kind of annuum to give you the up-front burn like wild tepins or something...

AJ, can you explain the difference between the burn of the Bhut versus the tepin?

I've heard that tepins give a sharp quick burn, but that the burn subsides quite quickly.

I have the seeds of these plants, but haven't had a chance to grow them out to feel the different burn of each of these yet.

dvg

Bhuts are cool for seasoning chili, but you still need some kind of annuum to give you the up-front burn like wild tepins or something

I have found this to be true as well. When i make soup i'll toss in several scotch bonnets and when i eat the soup i don't really feel a burn, my eyes water, my nose drips and the heat has a smooth hotness(if that makes sense) but if i toss in several goatsweed, its like bam! a punch in the mouth, a fierce sizzle burn right up front.

I have the seeds of these plants, but haven't had a chance to grow them out to feel the different burn of each of these yet.

Doug, they take a really long time to mature and conditions have to be just right(in our environment), i found seeds several years ago at walmart and of all the tepins i grew not 1 ever produced flowers or pods until 2009 and then my plant gave me about 20 pods(I was just going to toss the seeds). i started the plant in Feb'09 and they didn't ripen until Dec'09. The plant is still alive but 2010 it didn't produce 1 flower, it did lose all its leaves twice. The berry is small and from the one i grew, the heat was fierce for about 1 minute then just went away but what i remember the most was the large hard seed that filled the pod, i was chewing for a long time.

AJ, can you explain the difference between the burn of the Bhut versus the tepin?

I've heard that tepins give a sharp quick burn, but that the burn subsides quite quickly.

dvg

the bhut burn is a delayed burn as most have found out...starting on the tongue and working its way back and down the throat making it feel like there is a hot coal in your throat...

the tepin is just the opposite and as you described an immediate, harsh hit to the tongue, lips, and front of the mouth...but, it subsides rather quickly...to keep that up front burn going, you need a little cayenne mixed in with it and maybe some serrano for the side burn...

this may be information you don't want to know but I will throw it out there...

there are several different capsaicinoids contained in hot peppers: capsaicin, dihydrocapsaicin, homocapsaicin, homodihydrocapsaicin, and nordihydrocapsaicin. I believe there are some other minor capsaicinoids I didn't list but they are trace.

the mouth is filled with different types of heat receptors, each having a different affinity for the different capsaicinoids...with that being said...different hot pepper varieties have differing amounts of each of these capsaicinoids...

there is not much information out there that tells the capsaicinoid content of different peppers, but there is some...

so...the main reason I started growing peppers was to try and make a chili that had the "perfect burn"...as I said on my television interview, a burn that will hit you all over the mouth and down the throat without killing you...

TMI?

Thanks for the replies.

AJ, I was laughing to myself when you were explaining about the cayenne keeping the burn going and the bit about the serrano...I was thinking, "The man does know his burns".

Fascinating topic though, and I'm definitely interested in learning more about the different burns that individual strains produce and where they are felt in the mouth, tongue, lips, palate and throat.

AJ, have you been able to make much progress with you "All Encompassing Burn" pepper?

dvg

Edit: Apologies to RedTail for taking this thread on a bit on a different tangent, but I couldn't quite contain my curiousity about the different burns involved in some of these peppers.

there is not much information out there that tells the capsaicinoid content of different peppers, but there is some...
This is something I wish would be studied and tested more, because it would be some very useful information to have. A rough percentage of each capsaicinoid in each variety of pepper would be just about as interesting as the Scoville rating itself. In fact, I would say it would be more useful in a way, for planning an even, all-over, lasting heat. I don't really care about an instant burn for the most part (though I wouldn't complain), but I tend to like those C. chinense-influenced long-lasting burns in the back of my throat.

I wonder if the ratio of each capsaisinoid is primarily based on species, or if it varies quite a bit even from variety to variety in the same species. All I know is, habaneros and various other C. chinense varieties seem to all give me a very similar burn, while the Jalapeno M and Biker Billy also gave me similar effects to each other but unique compared to the C. chinense. The jalapenos seem to attack the mouth sharply, while the chinense attacks everywhere initially then sustains a nice warmth in the throat as most everything else dies down, and then the lips begin to tingle.

As much as I love habs and their flavor/heat... I am beginning to think that I should look more into mixing different pepper types for more full/complete burns. I've tried mixing different chinenses, often with bad results: their flavors tend to clash and it doesn't seem to modify the type and location of the heat.

I haven't tested C. pubescens, C. baccatum and C. frutescens species enough to come up with a conclusion on those yet, but if I remember right the tabasco was more of a mouth burn.

Alright, due to this thread, I was able to get my hands on some dried superhot pods (thanks Silver Surfer) and have been taste testing them. The Dorset Naga had a very interesting flavor and was VERY FREAKING HOT!!! The Douglah was HOT AS HELL but tasted like crap (in my humble opinion). More to come...

Now I'm curious for some more input from you super-hot eaters out there. Now that I can honestly say I have some experience taste testing superhots, I can honestly say they all taste very similar to me (with a few exceptions). Maybe my limited pallet can't detect some subtle flavors but here is what I'm getting:

DORSET NAGA - kind of fruity with that familiar C. chinense after-taste, heat speaks for itself

DOUGLAH - yeah there is the chinense flavor and aroma but it is more of a chemically oriented-strand board flavor... don't think I'll be growing any of these nasty tasting things. Obviously, the heat is pretty freaking overwhelming :sick:

FATALII - now this one I've had before. I like the flavor and aroma for the most part and the heat is right there :D

7 POD BRAIN STRAIN - WOW!!! The flavor was very similar to the Dorset to me and again with the chinense flavor.

Am I nuts, or do you other fire-eaters out there have the same opinion?

Back