• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Favorite Yellow Strain

Ok, folk heres another poll question. I'm trying to fill out the last of my grow list for 2013. So what are your top three hottest/favorite yellow chile strain(s)?

for yellows, i have grown: scorpions, 7 pot, fatalii, foodrama bonnet, jamaican bonnet, grocery store bonnet, bonda ma jacques, cumari, hot lemon, gold bullet hab & quintisho.
1. jamaican bonnet from peppermania 2. 7 pot from pepperlover 3. cumari from peppermania

peppermania's jamaican yellow bonnet had the perfect heat level and had a sweetness that was hard to put down once i started eating one.
the 7 pot had a nice flavour but was completely forgetable once the heat kicked in. once the heat died off, it did leave a nice lingering taste on my breath that i could feel for an hour or more.
to be fair my cumari plant only coughed up 1 pod, so it was really hard to compare but the pod i did have was very tasty and i guess due to its small pod size the heat was fast and intense.

the foodrama was a let down in flavour and pod comparison to the jamaican but the plant produced a nicer plant, absolutely beautiful foliage. the jamaican had nicer looking pods.

the quintisho, gold bullet hab and bonda had an over all habanero flavour that if i didn't grow them, i wouldn't have missed them.if you like that haby taste pick one they tasted the same to me. gold bullet produces billions of small pods.

the scorpion like the 7 pot was tasty and killer hot but after trying several and trying to compare the two, i gave the edge to the 7. i liked the way the heat and flavour circled in my mouth with the 7. i would make the scorpion 4th fav on my list.

the yellow fatalii also reminded me of a habanero taste, i was expecting this sweet citrus taste described by other but that didn't happen for me. it could be my taste receptors being off. the fatalii have made a killer hot powder for me and that is worthy of growing them. due to the flavour let down, on my part, i would rank them 6th on my list.

hot lemon was good, now that tasted like a citrus lemon exploding in my mouth, then a nice about of heat, the problem i had with the hot lemon was the pod and how fast they would go bad on the plant. the pods would start out looking nice but as they appeared to start to yellow, the yellowing would stop and a light brown would soon appear and many pods were mushy. i am not sure if it was do to over watering or over stressing, i just remember for the care i put into the plant the pod rot seem high. this would be 5th on my list.

i did grow yellow bhuts and datil but they didn't produce fruit this year, as a matter of fact my bhuts just up and died - i will try again for 2013.

for yellows, i have grown: scorpions, 7 pot, fatalii, foodrama bonnet, jamaican bonnet, grocery store bonnet, bonda ma jacques, cumari, hot lemon, gold bullet hab & quintisho.
1. jamaican bonnet from peppermania 2. 7 pot from pepperlover 3. cumari from peppermania

peppermania's jamaican yellow bonnet had the perfect heat level and had a sweetness that was hard to put down once i started eating one.
the 7 pot had a nice flavour but was completely forgetable once the heat kicked in. once the heat died off, it did leave a nice lingering taste on my breath that i could feel for an hour or more.
to be fair my cumari plant only coughed up 1 pod, so it was really hard to compare but the pod i did have was very tasty and i guess due to its small pod size the heat was fast and intense.

the foodrama was a let down in flavour and pod comparison to the jamaican but the plant produced a nicer plant, absolutely beautiful foliage. the jamaican had nicer looking pods.

the quintisho, gold bullet hab and bonda had an over all habanero flavour that if i didn't grow them, i wouldn't have missed them.if you like that haby taste pick one they tasted the same to me. gold bullet produces billions of small pods.

the scorpion like the 7 pot was tasty and killer hot but after trying several and trying to compare the two, i gave the edge to the 7. i liked the way the heat and flavour circled in my mouth with the 7. i would make the scorpion 4th fav on my list.

the yellow fatalii also reminded me of a habanero taste, i was expecting this sweet citrus taste described by other but that didn't happen for me. it could be my taste receptors being off. the fatalii have made a killer hot powder for me and that is worthy of growing them. due to the flavour let down, on my part, i would rank them 6th on my list.

hot lemon was good, now that tasted like a citrus lemon exploding in my mouth, then a nice about of heat, the problem i had with the hot lemon was the pod and how fast they would go bad on the plant. the pods would start out looking nice but as they appeared to start to yellow, the yellowing would stop and a light brown would soon appear and many pods were mushy. i am not sure if it was do to over watering or over stressing, i just remember for the care i put into the plant the pod rot seem high. this would be 5th on my list.

i did grow yellow bhuts and datil but they didn't produce fruit this year, as a matter of fact my bhuts just up and died - i will try again for 2013.

Nice review.....telling it the way it is...

For heat and taste?
Yellow Brain Strain- If you get the right plant, it will produce an extremely hot pepper that tastes yellow but also has a complex taste that has a bit of hot red in it as well. We had a couple of these that tasted hotter than the Moruga that we tested that same night.

Yellow 7 Pod- Not near as hot, but has a nice yellow, citrus taste. When we get together to eat a mixed basket of fried hot peppers, these yellows are almost like candy compared to the scorpions and Brain Strains that are also mixed up in the same basket. The powder from these is great on fish, and it makes a real nice sauce if you add some peaches and a little lime. (as well as a few other seasonings)

Fataii- The yellow citrus taste is the best of the group, but it isn't all that hot compared to the others. More like a habanaro for heat.

Bonda Ma Jacques, Scotch Bonnet TFM, Lemon Drop, Thai Yellow comes to mind but there is a lot of nice yellows.
Even if i really liked some, most chinenses taste pretty similar to me...
It's nice to explore different flavors beyond superhots IMHO.

Cya

Datil

SP. how did I know datil was #1 on your list. Hahah. Jokes. Anyways. Yes fatalii is #1 for me. I have yet to taste a datil. No wait. I've tasted super datils. N nom. 7 pod is good. Then. Bonda. If you need bondas I have seeds

For heat and taste?
Yellow Brain Strain- If you get the right plant, it will produce an extremely hot pepper that tastes yellow but also has a complex taste that has a bit of hot red in it as well. We had a couple of these that tasted hotter than the Moruga that we tested that same night.

Yellow 7 Pod- Not near as hot, but has a nice yellow, citrus taste. When we get together to eat a mixed basket of fried hot peppers, these yellows are almost like candy compared to the scorpions and Brain Strains that are also mixed up in the same basket. The powder from these is great on fish, and it makes a real nice sauce if you add some peaches and a little lime. (as well as a few other seasonings)

Fataii- The yellow citrus taste is the best of the group, but it isn't all that hot compared to the others. More like a habanaro for heat.
right plant? elaborate.

In no particular order

Bonda ma Jacques
Yellow 7 pot/pod
Wild Brazil (although they are orangy when dead ripe)
Scotch Bonnet TFM

the yellow fatalii also reminded me of a habanero taste, i was expecting this sweet citrus taste described by other but that didn't happen for me. it could be my taste receptors being off.

Could it be seed stock? I received great genetics in 2011 from Pepper-Guru and grew them out this past season. If you want I have isolated seed I could send you. Then again like you said it could be the tongues perception. Like the ass of a Douglah, but others like the taste.

Back