• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Favorites / Disappointments of 2009

Well now that we are wrapping up another year I'm curious to know what everybody's favorites were this year. Also I know that some of you have now finally had a chance to grow some of these newer varieties like 7 Pot and Trinidad Scorpions. So if you've made any new discoveries that have blown your mind :fireball: :lol: please comment on it.

Likewise what has turned out to be a major disappontment?

Here's my list:

Favorites

1. FATALI (incredible flavor and heat. a must for next year)
2. Bih Jolokia (flavor is smooth and all over burn is fun)
3. Hungarian Hot Wax (great on the BBQ or pan-fried)

Disappointments

1. Charlseton Hot (Got this from Pepper Joe's. Sickly looking plants that are taking forever to ripen. Nowhere near the heat that is claimed. I'm gonna try them again from another source)

2. Jalapeno (the strain I got was supposed to be extra pungent, but turned out to be like eating a Bell Pepper. Almost no heat.)

Favorites:

Red Devil's Tongue. Beautiful plant, dripping with pods, great heat and flavor.

Chocolate Hab. Not as productive as the red devil's tongue, but the heat and flavor is spot on. Will be my go-to pepper next year.

Disappointments:

Fatalii. Didn't grow worth a damn for me this year. Will try again next year.

Yellow Devil's Tongue. Again, didn't grow worth a damn. Won't be growing this one again any time soon. Small, sickly plants.

favorites: 7 pot, datil,
and chocolate scotch bonnet even though i sometimes get tired of its overly intense smell/aroma

disappointment: some unknown cascabel looking variety with zero pungency, bitter taste, and overloaded with big hard seeds.

Favorites:Giant aconcagua, ancho(brown), crimson hot, Scotch bonnet TFM, yellow 7, fatalii

Dissapointments for the second year in a row: Numex Pinata, Chimayo, cascabel

glad to see I am not the only one that is having issues with cascabels...

favorites: 7 Pot, Bhut Jolokia, Fatalii, Foodarama Scotch Bonnets

disappointments: Ancho San Luis, Jalapeno Gigante (will stick with Billy Bikers from now on), two different scotch bonnets that look more like caribbean reds...

Favorites: Bhut, Yellow Scotch Bonnets, "Hottie" Habs

Disappointments: Gigante Jalapeno- great taste, but not big enough to do anything with other than just eat fresh

And I'm still out on my Red Savinas for where they go

POTAWIE said:
Dissapointments for the second year in a row: Numex Pinata, Chimayo, cascabel

Potawie, why was the numex Pinata a disappointment? I only ask cause i'm growing it this season.....It's already about 8 inches tall....

Favorites: 7 pot, bhut, fatalii, Hot lemon

Disappointments: All the ornimentals i grew (about 7), tepin, and the thai bangkok upright....

Favuorites this year : Aji limon - most productive and nice heat and taste, NuMmex twilight - productive, hot and loads of seeds for next year and my perenial favourite Cayenne - craploads of pods for putting on my curries.

Disappointments ; Only grew one Scotch Bonnet - bonchied itself and grew one single pod! Piri-Piri - grew seeds from some dried pods I bought. Obviously got crossed with a mild pepper coz they're far too big and look like a cross between Jalapeno and Serrano with no heat at all.

Favourites: Orange Hab, Paper Lantern Hab (huge producer), extra long cayenne.

Disappointment: The summer weather, White Hab (very low producer and slow growth for me), ornamentals that just take up valuable space.

Fav's are Bhut J., Cappy's 7 Pot brain strain, red hab cross that had a tail.

Disappointments were many: Chocolate fatalii--zero heat, I must have gotten the same scotch bonnet seeds AJ got as mine all looked like Red Caribbeans, Trinidad Scorpion--beautiful, scorching peppers all six of them.

moyboy said:
Potawie, why was the numex Pinata a disappointment? I only ask cause i'm growing it this season.....It's already about 8 inches tall....

For me they always grow as runts and are sick looking and unproductive. I even tried a new source for seeds this year but they grew exactly the same. I know some others like Talas have had success with this variety

favorites include Yellow Scorpion, Mustard Habanero, T. Douglah, Datil, Faria, and 7 Pod.

least favorites is the chocolate fatalii and trinidad perfume.

The worst is coming home after a weekend vacation and finding your hot water heater has busted and dumped 50 gallons on your wood floors.:cry:

All of my seed trades will be delayed a week.

My new favorite is my evil OSE12. the new generation is mighty tasty and has smaller pods with that same beautiful heat, although only some plants ripen to yellow now, and that's kinda disappointing. it's also relatively productive. :)

My biggest disappointment is the Fang chile someone traded with me. tastes like dirt and has no real heat. a waste of water, dirt and space.

I have two disappointments. One is that I tried my best to label each plant correctly from growing inside and then transplanting outside but some plants have labels that just don't go with the plant that is growing. I am pretty new to this and with a total of 32 plants that made it but some are almost mystery plants that I am not sure what they are. The other disappointment is that I planted three different types of habenero plants and not one of them ended up growing.
My favorites are plants that ended up better than I was anticipating. Some of the plants I thought were to be mild had a lot more heat and flavor than I expected like some Poblano, Big Jim and others. I have about three different plants listed as Cayenne but one is really a surprise and has grown a long orange pepper that has a great fruity hot taste. My Barney plant I thought was going to be more of an ornamental type plant and has got some great red hot fruity flavored peppers that makes a great pepper sauce.
They are still growing like crazy, especially after a weeks worth of 10+ inches of rain but I am already planning on next years garden.

AlabamaJack,
I have them all planted in a garden in my back property. I think I just planted way too many plants way too close together and probably my biggest problem was when I start the plants inside and trying to keep everything together with the seed pods and then getting them transplanted outside. I have a lot better idea of how to do it next year and can't wait to get started. I have really had some great plants this year even though I didn't really know what I was doing for the most part.

you got the fever then my friend...

good luck with keeping them straight...

when you move them to the ground and if you use stakes...you could write the name of the pepper on the stake...

just tryin' to help...

back on subject...

my favorite pepper of all time to grow is the super cayenne II hybrid...mas producer of 4-5" long pods with good heat and typical cayenne taste...great for seasonings...

Favorites:

Naga Morich, Yellow Fatalii’s, bountiful C-reds, red 7-pot, red savinas, anchos, maybe a bhut X c-hab cross that is really tasty, and hot. Above everything having some success for my first year of growing super hots.

Disappointed: Bhuts (all purchased seeds were a cross), Chocolate Fatalii (a nice looking pepper but with little heat), PC-1 (all yellow pods on three plants and not red), jalapenos that were just blah.

Next Year for starters: Many more Fatalii’s, Datils, various strains of 7-pot, hopefully some true Bhuts, C-reds, Savinas, Scorpions, Tabasco and my wife has requested bell peppers.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
favorites include Yellow Scorpion, Mustard Habanero, T. Douglah, Datil, Faria, and 7 Pod.

least favorites is the chocolate fatalii and trinidad perfume.

The worst is coming home after a weekend vacation and finding your hot water heater has busted and dumped 50 gallons on your wood floors.:cry:

All of my seed trades will be delayed a week.

:lol: reminds me of my g/f's dad a couple of days after he finished laying down new hardwood flooring throughout the house. Their dishwasher broke and because they turned it on to run throughout the night they didn't realize that anything was wrong until the dog woke them up with his whining. There was 2" of water in the kitchen and living room. He had to pull it all up, throw out the expensive underlay and repurchase some cheaper stuff.

Well since its my first year...

Favorites (all that I got peppers from)
-Cayenne
-Joes Long Cayenne
-Peter Peppers
-Jalapenos
-Black Pearl

Disappointments (all that failed)
-Orange Hab (turned out to be something else. bad seed source)
-Tepin (turned out to be something else. bad seed source)
-2 others that I dont remember what they were supposed to be but are Bells and likely from the same source as other "bad" seeds.

Learned a lot this year for a first year and over all was a great success. Next year will be better, or at least start off better since I will be winterizing 8 of my plants and putting them back out in spring. I also plan to have twice as many plants and some new ones I didn't grow this year.

Back