legal FDA rules and regulations - How involved is Uncle Sam?

Since I've started bottling my own sauce, I've done well on a small scale to friends and family. That said, I think I've got enough positive feedback to pursue a commercial license. I want to know from those who are already there, how involved is the FDA in the process? I have real concerns about them telling me that I need to add lecithin, or "natural flavors" or some other form of thinly veiled MSG. I don't want anything that I cannot grow myself, or rely on passionate farmers for to go into my products. I recently started my personal quest for a true organic and local lifestyle. I cannot stress enough my contempt and disdain for the Government as it's currently constructed and the agencies governing our health and well being. I'm not going to continue ranting, but I simply want to know what my options are. If I go larger scale, what are the rules governing "certified organic" ? and what do I need to watch out for on a small scale without FDA involvement?

You do not need any FDA involvement to get your sauce out there.

That said...if you intend to put things like "organic", "low fat" or other nutritional claims on the label, then you may get some involvement from the FDA. I've noticed some organic products have a "certified byXYZ Tilth" or something. I believe in Washington state, it's the state that certifies the farmers as organic, not the FDA. Your state health or dept of AG should have all that inof on a website. And there may be some requirements that if a product is claiming to be "organic" it must be made in a facility that is certified organic and they cannot make non-organic products(????) [I may be way off on that...I just seem to remember something about that when I was looking for a co-packer to do an organic spice for me. Don't take my word for it, but be aware and ask about it...]

Also, the FDA is not your first step in getting your sauce legal. You need to contact your local health authority first. They will take a look at the sauce and can often times make a determination on the spot if it is OK to make/sell based on your recipe. If the local authority has any question about the recipe, they will direct you to go to a Process Authority who will review your recipe, pH, process etc. The PA will tell you if there are any problems with the ingredients or the process.

I make 15 different products, and the only one that needed anything past the process authority was the BBQ sauce because it contains butter. For that sauce I had to get registered with the FDA as a processor. If you work with a co-packer, they can most likely take care of any FDA issues. The FDA shouldn't be directing you to add certain ingredients to your recipe. They may say the pH is not right, add more acid, or the pH is not right so it must be processed differently than a hot fill/hold.

Sorry I can't answer more about the organic side of things. But check out your state's website. They usually have pretty good information regarding food processors and organic certifications, and also labeling requirements.

Good Luck-
SL

Back