• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc Feels good to be back! Need help with choosing some varieties.

After I believe a 2 years break from gardening, I'm finally back. Thanks to Covid, I had to close down my business and moved to another place and now am financially stable enough to get back to growing but not sure what varieties I should get. The other problem is the brutal heat in Thailand (100°+ f) and noticed that most of my reapers, habaneros, and scotch didn't do well in the past so will cover em up this time. I am also trying to make a business out of my hobby by growing enough to sell as fresh pods, powder, or even sauces so am mostly looking for prolific varieties that also taste great. Could you guys point me in the right direction?
Currently thinking of getting:

7 Pot Brainstrain

Aji Rainforest

Chiltepin

Fresno Long
7 Pot Jonah Seeds
Aji Margariteno
Bahamian Goat
BOC
Brazilian Starfish
Fatalii
Fish
NuMex Lemon Spice
NuMex Suave Red
Pimenta Moranga Peach X
Poblano
Primo
SB7J
Scotch Brain
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
Urfa Biber
Planning to cut it down even further but just not sure what to get rid of or what to replace here... Was thinking of growing maybe 2-3 plants of each variety and see how it goes. Already got ghosts and reaper seeds btw so that's why they aren't on the list.

Last edited:
I grew Caramel Morugas last year and wasn’t impressed. Hot as hell but the flavor was bitter perfumey that I didn’t care for. The plants did well though. Slow to start and slow to set fruit, but when they did it was all at once with a lot of pods for the size of the plants. I had one inside and one out, both in pots. They did equally well and neither seemed to like a lot of direct sun.
I’m growing both Scotch Brains and SBJ7 this year. They’re both fast growers with big leaves that are kind of delicate. We’ll see how they taste. I’ve been messing this year with Scotch Bonnets and their hybrids.

I grew Caramel Morugas last year and wasn’t impressed. Hot as hell but the flavor was bitter perfumey that I didn’t care for. The plants did well though. Slow to start and slow to set fruit, but when they did it was all at once with a lot of pods for the size of the plants. I had one inside and one out, both in pots. They did equally well and neither seemed to like a lot of direct sun.
I’m growing both Scotch Brains and SBJ7 this year. They’re both fast growers with big leaves that are kind of delicate. We’ll see how they taste. I’ve been messing this year with Scotch Bonnets and their hybrids.
Seems like I'll remove Caramel Moruga then. I think I get plenty hotness out of the other ones and if flavor isn't on par then it got to go. Only heard greatness from Scotch Brains and SB7J. Wish you luck with both of em'.

Scotch Barins are a definite must imo. If i were to cut anything from your list it would be the Aji Dulce, just never really liked the pods.

Scotch Barins are a definite must imo. If i were to cut anything from your list it would be the Aji Dulce, just never really liked the pods.
After some reading around, I agree with cutting the Aji Dulce. Thinking of replacing it with the Aji Pineapple cause it seems to be a very popular choice here but always open to suggestions. Will also cut the BTR scorpion for the same reason as the Caramel Moruga

Wanted to grow the SB7J myself this year but the seeds I had didn't make it. 🙁 My main seed source does not have SB7J unfortunately...

I have three plants going. If any of them do worth a damn you’re welcome to some seed for next year. They won’t be isolated though.

Locopica or Capsicum pubescens of some sort would be nice to try if you love Capsicum that go drip drop when you pop them into your mouth. You won't find any Capsicum juicier and the heat can be pleasant enough.

Locopica or Capsicum pubescens of some sort would be nice to try if you love Capsicum that go drip drop when you pop them into your mouth. You won't find any Capsicum juicier and the heat can be pleasant enough.
was thinking of rocotos and manzanos but they prolly won't take the heat here well. Aren't pubescens more for cooler climates? Would love a hot juicy pepper like that tho.

was thinking of rocotos and manzanos but they prolly won't take the heat here well. Aren't pubescens more for cooler climates? Would love a hot juicy pepper like that tho.
I am growing mine in full sun in North Carolina, but then I am growing Locopica. I do have a friend growing C. pubescens in full sun in North Carolina a few minutes from me though.

If you have room for one more then I would recommend SLP Improved Naga X. It was quite prolific and the heat is around Carolina Reaper-ish. I was growing it indoors but I have very good full spectrum light and got it close in small space. So it's like direct sun 17H in a day and warm or very warm all the time. I started to grow it in only 2L pots and it made 10 peppers. Semilla is now selling F3 seeds. I can start to grow F4 very soon :)The heat was very brutal and the taste was very good.

Last edited:
Back