• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Ferment to pickle.

alkhall said:
After fermenting (brining), I was thinking about pickling (vinegar and pickling spices) pepper rings.

Or, is that not something I can, or should, do?

The fermentation process produces lactic acid which effectively pickles your peppers anyway. Adding acid after can drop the pH further but you should be able to get to a shelf stable safe pH just with fermentation (below pH 4). 5% vinegar (what you buy in the store) is around pH 2.5 to 3.5.

I have some experiments on the go: in one I just added my usual pickling spices and straight cold vinegar to pepper rings. I'm gonna leave them for a few months and see what I get.

Old school Jewish delicatessen pickles in NY are brined only (fermented) and no vinegar is added. Taste way better than a vinegar pickle. ;)

Would like to try peppers that way.

Here's a jar of lactic fermentation pickled sugar rush peaches that I recently made up. Brine was at 3.5% with:
  • 6 cloves crushed garlic
  • 1 tbsp coriander seeds
  • 1 tbsp peppercorns
  • 4 bay leaves
  • couple tbsp of sauerkraut starter 

The pH is down below 3.5 and the peppers are tasty indeed. Definitely more complex/better than straight vinegar pickles, but admittedly there was no control for the taste test and of course each to their own.

pickled-sugar-rush-peach-01.jpg

pickled-sugar-rush-peach-02.jpg

Kramer said:
Just curious, what is your objective of adding vinegar after fermentation? Is it a pH thing, or is it to get a little of both acid flavors - because I've wondered about trying to do that myself. I like the taste of both.

Wanted to get rid of the brine, basically.

Back