• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Fermented Fresno Chili Pepper Sauce - ingredient ratios

I've got a ferment of Fresno chili peppers in a 3% brine that's been going for about 2-3 months.

Would the following ingredient ratios be a good starting point for a basic hot sauce using this ferment?

fermented Fresno chili peppers: 50%
Vinegar: 30%
Brine: 10%
Garlic: 10%

I know its all a matter of personal preference.  Just looking for tried-and-true formula as a starting point for a basic fermented hot sauce using just these typical ingredients.

Would you tweak any of the above ingredient percentages to start?

Fresno Chile's 60%
Vinegar 20%
Brine 0% (there's probably enough of that In the Fresno's)
Fresh red bell peppers 10%
Onions 7%
Garlic 3%

Grind it all up to the sauce consistency desired. Adjust with water, vinegar or fruit juice.

Simmer, hot fill, hold.

Thanks salsalady!  I'll try ingredient percentages you suggest.

I also like the recommendation to blend the fermented fresnos with fresh red bells.  It'll be interesting to see how the blended sauce will turn out.

Would anyone have suggestions on other varieties of hot peppers that blend well together in hot sauces?

bigflies said:
Thanks salsalady!  I'll try ingredient percentages you suggest.

I also like the recommendation to blend the fermented fresnos with fresh red bells.  It'll be interesting to see how the blended sauce will turn out.

Would anyone have suggestions on other varieties of hot peppers that blend well together in hot sauces?

The possibilities are almost endless.  As an example, I make a sauce like saleslady recommended but use fatalii's and yellow bells.  

And another opinion, I like to add both back.  The lactic acid brine brings the funk, which all on it's own is not bad, but when dialed in with a vinegar's acetic acid, makes something special that's more than the sum of the parts.  For me it starts around 50/50 and I tweak from there.  Not sure if other people do this, but I also shake the brine up before I pour it, so all the bits that settle to the bottom also get included and blended up.  I've only done this for long ferments though, at least 2 months.  Idk if I'd count on the brine for acidity with a quick ferment, however you could always just get a pH meter and verify it's to your standards.  Just my very novice .02.

Edit: Tybo is right too, the possibilities are literally endless.  A fun thing to try at the end of the season is to harvest your last few fruits and ferment them all together.  I did that with my last ripe cayennes, thai, and habanero peppers, and then even put in a couple of fully ripened jalapenos.  Fermented for a couple months and processed as mentioned above, and it was actually a really versatile and great tasting red hot sauce.  Equally suited for wings or nachos or..anything!  Here's post if you want the idea, but maybe omit the oil part.  For me it's no biggie since it immediately goes in the fridge and is gone within a couple weeks anyways.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/74306-end-of-season-ferment/

Back