• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Fermenters: standard air-locks vs. waterless airlocks

Has anyone been able to compare results with the old-school airlocks like these:

ak-group-fermenting.jpg

to ones like these:

51i-1LRQqtL._SX425_.jpg

The latter seem a lot easier and maintenance than the former (when using the water airlocks but using vodka instead of water, I'm topping that thing off at least weekly is not more often). Does the performance of the waterless version suffer at all, like higher chance of mold contamination?

I'm a newbie doing my first few ferments. But I'm currently using both styles. I like the newer style without having to add water/vodka for the ease of use and just put it up in the panty and not having to worry about it. I'm a month in and no issues on using the new style. 

PUXRuCC.png

Got my new lids today. Hadn't realized they are basically just a rubber disk and require a locking ring. Luckily I have some.

First application is fermented harissa. Started with 6oz guajillo and 3oz dried aji amarillo. Stemmed and chopped, then put them in boiling water for 5 minutes and drained. (Probably didn't need to do this but maybe got rid of most of the mold spores that might have been on them?)

To it I added
1Tbsp caraway seed
1/2 Tbsp ground coriander
1/4 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp salt
6 large cloves of garlic, rough chopped
6 Peppadew peppers (to add some fermentable sugar)
2 Tbsp tomato paste (likewise)

Blended it up, then stirred in one capsule of Cultrelle. A touch more water and a little more salt on top, then put the lid on and the waiting begins.

The taste of the mix was surprisingly bright and fresh considering I used dried peppers. Hoping it develops into something more complex over time.

Back