• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

organic Ferti-Lome Natural Guard Organic?

I was given two bags of Ferti-Lome Natural Guard Organic soil. First thing that I notice, is that despite the amendments, (kelp meal and earthworm castings) it has no perlite or vermiculite. Not being that familiar with container growing yet, I have to ask, is this OK? Most every ready to use mix that I see has a significant amount of perlite.

Secondly, even though it claims to be an organic soil, and prides itself on its OMRI listing, when I look up the listing for this mix - if I'm understanding correctly - is not actually considered organic. The "organic" listing is labeled "false". See here: http://www.omri.org/product-list/75352/natural-guard%C2%AE-organic-potting-mix

So why the false organic listing?

Just wondering... If I actually use this stuff, is it good to go, straight out of the bag? Or does it need some help?

Thanks all!

If it doesn't have bark or perlite its going to  compact a lot and not get very much air i'm guessing. Haven't seen pic of the actual soil so no idea.

the false organic probably because it attracts people and not very many people actually look up the validity of organic

Says "Not for use in the U.S.".

Canada is where they say the peat is from...The product is made in Canada and maybe bagged elsewhere.
Some other countries standards might be less strict.

Reminds me of some vegetarians I know.
Give people crap for eating meat and food additives but they eat their share of the non vegie stuff they like - shrimp,lobster or whatever.

Some countries are MORE Organic than others. LOL

smokemaster said:
Says "Not for use in the U.S.".
Actually it says "false" next to that statement. So, it's for use in the US. This OMRI stuff is all put together in a very logical format - a template with fill in the blank statements. Sort of like an MSDS. (if you work with anything industrial, you know exactly what I mean)

smokemaster said:
Canada is where they say the peat is from...The product is made in Canada and maybe bagged elsewhere.
Some other countries standards might be less strict.
No, it's made by Lambert, and all of their peat comes from Canadian bogs.

smokemaster said:
Reminds me of some vegetarians I know.
Give people crap for eating meat and food additives but they eat their share of the non vegie stuff they like - shrimp,lobster or whatever.
I always like to ask a FOS vegetarian whether chicken/fish are considered fruits or vegetables. By the way, my wife is a true vegetarian, so this is a fun topic for her, too. :)

I guess it says false for being organic and false for also not being safe for use in the U.S. - could mean it doesn't have heavy metals or is safe to use-not that it is organic per say.

Just a safe soil to use in the U.S. , it's not kellogg grow mulch (sewage waste/heavy metals).

I see several states using sewage waste and selling it as an ingredient in their compost.
It tests for less heavy metals than is not safe when sold.

What about the guy who uses it for years in his/her yard?
Wouldn't the bad stuff eventually poison your soil?
Since I'd think the organics would get used up,possibly leaving a high amount of left over bad stuff to collect.

Not trying to say the ferti lome is bad,just pointing out IF you want,you can sell anything you want to,if packaged/advertised right.
A comment on sales rather than the product being discussed...

The way it's written leaves a lot to the imagination...

3 People I know are heavy into the vegetarian thing.

1 eats veggies and whatever else if they like it or happen to feel like a chunk of beef or a burger at any given time.

1 won't eat anything but lobster or shrimp that isn't a vegetable-she won't wear anything leather either.
Does like wine and cheese though...
This person gets REALLY PISSED when I'm in the same car after I picked up 80lbs of London Broil for $3.00Lb. on sale-not to mention the 50lbs of Brisket and the pork bellies.
All were under $3,00 lb.
I just HAD to fill my freezer. :)

To me they all make a MAJOR part of the food groups up for good eats,Pastromi,smoked beef,Jerky,ANNNNDDD - BACON.

I do find Salmon to smoke at a reasonable price-sometimes,that only slightly pisses off said person.

1 actually only eats only veggies but will wear leather or whatever.
They spend an hour reading labels to go to the store to buy even 1 product...

Like anything else,do whatever floats your boat,just don't make me listen to your lecture while I'm smokin up 50lbs of brisket for pastromi or brisket fishing lunches.

Back to ferti lome...

I was/am unclear as to if Lambert sells the soil or makes it and sells it.
Couldn't find a link for Lambert except for plant sales and a few other things.
I see ferti lome sold by a Texas Co.,Lambert?(on the site OMRI).

smokemaster said:
Like anything else,do whatever floats your boat,just don't make me listen to your lecture while I'm smokin up 50lbs of brisket for pastromi or brisket fishing lunches.
My vegetarian wife cooks for me... And I was on the Paleo diet for years! She is an amazing cook, considering she's never tasted the food she makes for me!

But I gotta know if this mix needs perlite! Anybody have any experience with this stuff?

I never used the stuff.
I'd guess I'd add perlite or Pomice (I like Pomice I got tired of my pots blowing over in the wind).
Melisa found a cheap source for me...

I'd think I'd not use much bark since it might eat up the nitrogen in the soil mix as it breaks down.
But if you are into the current tea trend,then nitrogen shouldn't be a problem.
Soil should be able to keep up with the barks uptake of nitrogen as everything breaks down.

Do you know what percentages of the stuff they put in the mix to give a non user an idea about it's possible nute content?

I like using a bark mix,5 bark ,2-3 peat,1 perlite,1 pomice.

But I use ferts (fish and seaweed) in 1/10th strength everytime I water,I sub. more bloom at budding at pod set and add calcium acetate too.
I use dolomite lime when I mix up the soil-Mag. and Ca.

My soil mix IS extremely fast.
Add more peat for stuff that gets big/needs more water.

Back