• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer Fertilizer?

Should i add fish fertilizer to my seedlings or wait until they get bigger? ( theyre week old Bhut's)

It says its "non- burning".

I have read not to until,they get their first set of leafs.The big ones and use a weak fertilizer mix.If it is to strong they may get burned. I don't think fish fertilizer will burn them,but to strong of a mix is wasteful.

regardless of what we all may have heard. i fertilize at 2 ec pretty much as soon as little nublets show up between the cotyledons.

the key is to be aware of how little fertilizer small plant will consume. you have to water to runoff each time to keep it from accumulating, or alternate tap water between fertilizer.

with hat said, i use 100% synthetic salt fertilizers, no clue what you are proposing to use.

There was a good side by side on ICmag concerning seedlings, greatest growth was from seedlings fertilized weakly (50-150ppm) with nitrogen after breaking ground. Would be easy to find if someone were curious, or I can link. The myth of waiting for a few sets of leaves is common in cannabis as well. It would be interesting to see a similar experiment with peppers.

good advice guys, thanks for all the help.

miguelovic said:
There was a good side by side on ICmag concerning seedlings, greatest growth was from seedlings fertilized weakly (100-150ppm) mainly with nitrogen after breaking ground. Would be easy to find if someone were curious, or I can link. The myth of waiting for a few sets of leaves is common in cannabis as well. It would be interesting to see a similar experiment with peppers.
 Maybe once i can make a plant live longer than a week ill start experimenting lol. Until then i dont want to screw anything up.

It's not that you absolutely can't use fertilizer on sprouts, it's that it is terribly easy to burn them. If you are going to fertilize them, dilute the heck out of the ferts.

Back