• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer Fertilizers and Soil

Hey guys
First off, its been awhile. I havent posted here in a long time as I got out of the hobby. But now I am back in and excited. I have forgot somethings and have some questions.
Currently right now, because I waited too long. I have 2 Bonnie brand Poblano Plants and 2 Bonnie brand Jalapeno plants. Each are in a 5 gallon bucket with Miracle Grow potting soil (I know, basic). I am just curious if that potting soil will do. Do you guys have any suggestions for potting soil? I would even be willing to make my own. Also, what fertilizers should I use? Im assuming fertilizers and Miracle Grow Plant Food are the same thing right? Well, I want to take this hobby seriously so using different types of fertilizers and such sounds fun! Do you have any suggestions for fertilizers? I would prefer to use an all season one. I read online to use a high nitrogen based one to promote strong leaves and then move onto one with less nitrogen. Also, can I use multiple fertilizers at once? Like taking epsom salt and spraying the leaves while I use fish emulsion?

Sorry, last question. Possibly a dumb one too.
Could I, for the fun of it. Germinate hot pepper seeds indoors whenever? I have a seed germination heat mat. So like lets say I wanted to grow Carolina Reapers in October, would it be possible for me to germinate them and take care of them inside until temperatures get warmer outside?

Thanks guys for your help! Sorry for the long post. I just want to do things right.

Personally, I always use potting "mix", which is soil-less and therefore has better drainage.
If you've got the Miracle Grow in the green and yellow bag, then you've got potting mix.
IMHO it's a pretty good potting mix, over priced but good.

mlh5953 said:
Personally, I always use potting "mix", which is soil-less and therefore has better drainage.
If you've got the Miracle Grow in the green and yellow bag, then you've got potting mix.
+1

ED720WV.jpg

mlh5953 said:
IMHO it's a pretty good potting mix, over priced but good.

Oh wow, I never knew that potting mix and potting soil were two different things. And yeah I got the green and yellow bag so its all good, thanks.

Hey man. I just use 5 percent manure and 5 percent epsoma measuring with a five gallon bucket. I also use alfalfa pellets and I make a tea with it.

Back