• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Fertilizing Pepper Plants

How frequent do we have to fertilize plants? What is the best fert to use? I'm new at growing peppers and noticed the hotter peppers require a lot more attention. I'm also growing all my plants in 5 gal pots.

List of Troubled Peppers:
BHUT Jolokhia- Always had problems growing. Leaves keep falling off when fruits sets.
Choco Habanero- Same problem.
Orange Habanero- Same problem.

List of Good Pepper:
Hawaiian Chili Pepper
Jalepeno
Thai Chili
Tabasco
Yellow Wax Peppers
Fatali
Mustard Hab
Long Slim Cayenne

The chinense peppers (hotter ones) are more picky than most of the annuums. In general, follow the instructions on your fertilizer package. Each fertilizer is a bit different. I use liquid fertilizers (Fox Farm Grow Big/Tiger Bloom) so I add it directly to my water.

General rule of thumb: Lower leaves turning yellow and falling off: Not enough fertilizer. Leaf tips turning yellow/brown: Too much fertilizer. Each plant is different so I often adjust accordingly and might use just water on some plants sometimes while I fertilize other plants more. It's easier to fix not enough than too much, and it's REALLY hard to fix too much slow release fertilizer.

Thanks for the info. I just don't want to over fert. That exactly whats happening to my hab and ghost peppers. Losing all the bottom leaves.

" I use liquid fertilizers (Fox Farm Grow Big/Tiger Bloom) so I add it directly to my water."

Yes this a good line.

Untill now, I have been a big fan of using 100% synthetic fertilizers untill I realized there can be a big difference in the crop you produce with organics. I can say I just happily went and got some Botanicare Pure Blend Pro grow now that I found a place to get it. I have used it in the past with great results. Even though it has no micro nutrients listed I do not worry about that because it has trace minerals and other great things that help plants stay healthy naturally. I am not affraid to use a little miracle gro here and there to make up for anything missing, but what counts is that the bulk of the plant and the peppers will be feed primarily with the organic fertilizer.

BTW, being that you live in Hawaii you have agood climate for peppers!!!!!!!!!!! Go ahead and plan for a medium or larger pot because you can have your peppers year round. Make sure peppers get mid afternoon shade so plant under one standing trees so plants get morning and late afternoon shade.

Back