• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Fertilizing question

Being a first year growing newb I have a question about fertilizing that I can't quite seem to comprehend just by looking around. I have bought some 8-16-8 liquid fertilizer that is to be dissolved in water. I have read of people using 15-30-15 so if I want to use a concentration close could I just make it double strength when I mix it? Or does it not work like that?

Also, how much fertilizer, what strength, and how often should I be using it for plants that have about 4-10 true leaves and are approx 3-7 inches in height (the short ones all being chinense)? I also have some newer seedlings that are coming up. I'm assuming same technique and time frame for them too just at a lower dose. TIA and sorry for ignorant question.

Weaker is always better than stronger when it comes to fertilizer; especially on young plants. Follow the mixing instructions on the product. Once a week is normal, unless using a time release type like Osmacote. Never double the amount; buy the combination you want, such as; 16-16-16 for foliage growth and swithch to a 8-24-24 for flowers and fruit. These are just examples of the different combos one can buy.
Other posters will ring in here with their recomendations, I'm sure, but that's my 2cents worth. Good luck.

Chiles will grow and fruit at the same time so don't get fooled into buying super mega budding formulas, you're probably best to and stick with a well balance fertilizer. Personally I like using mostly manure/compost but also use 20-20-20 all season long

roadhouse said:
Being a first year growing newb I have a question about fertilizing that I can't quite seem to comprehend just by looking around. I have bought some 8-16-8 liquid fertilizer that is to be dissolved in water. I have read of people using 15-30-15 so if I want to use a concentration close could I just make it double strength when I mix it? Or does it not work like that?

Also, how much fertilizer, what strength, and how often should I be using it for plants that have about 4-10 true leaves and are approx 3-7 inches in height (the short ones all being chinense)? I also have some newer seedlings that are coming up. I'm assuming same technique and time frame for them too just at a lower dose. TIA and sorry for ignorant question.
15-30-15 is the percentage ratio of nutes in a fertilizer. What you have could be the same depending on what the instructions are to mix it. My 15-30-15 says 22.5ml per 6litres or gallon and a half. If yours says 45mls or so per 1 1/2 gallons it would be pretty much the same. What are you mixing instructions?

Teaspoon, not tablespoon? If it is 1/2 teaspoon you would need to time it by almost 6 it to get to the same as 15-30-15 miricle at 1/2 the recomended dosage which I and a few others I know use for bigger plants. If your using for seedlings I use 1/4 strength miricle gro which would be almost 3 times the dosage yours says to use. Don't do it yet. Wait for some more people to chime in to see if I did it right.

Miracle gro directions 22.5 ml per 6 litres
Your directions 1/2 teaspoon or 2.5ml per 3.78litres so would be(6/3.78= 1.59) so 2.5 * 1.59 = 3.97ml per 6 litres

Miracle Gro 1/2 strength is 11.25ml per 6 litres but yours is 1/2 ratio of miracle gro so you need to double
22.5/3.97 = 5.67 times or 5.67/2 = 2.83 times for seedlings

Whatever the fert mfg recommends, use 1/2 or less of the recommended dose.

Chile plants are not very engineered to use fertilizer quickly and react badly to over-fertilization. Keep with an even NPK ratio, ie, 1/1/1 or 5/5/5.....chiles don't respond much to flowering/green growth changes in ratio.

Back