• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Fertilzers and how to apply them

In past years I've just used regular miracle grow, but this year I havent done any fertilizing at all. All my plants seem to be doing the same? So I decided to try the fish emulsion from CCN, ? is what is the right way to apply it? I've read a couple other threads on fertilizing such as on on epsom salt, apparently you dissolve it and mix it with water and water the plant with the solution? Would it be the same way with fish emulsion, the directions on the site say to put two tablespoons to a gallon of water, but how much solution do you put on the plant??? Would a half gallon be suffice? A gallon? Mind you these plants are planted in regular topsoil with a little bit of mushroom soil on top. The plants are doing what I would call okay, plenty of buds, and quite a few pods. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!!!

That is more of a trial and error thing I think.
I mix up compost tea and pour it into my 3 gallon watering can and distribute it evenly onto the plants.
I count to about 5 or 6 while pouring and move to the next and repeat. With a light dose of fish fertilizer you could do the same with each watering.
I think light doses weekly is better than a heavier dose of fertilizers monthly or bi-weekly, especially with a liquid fertilizer like fish emulsion.

Eya dude. Welcome to THP! So when you mix the solution in your watering can at 2Tbsp's per gallon. You just water them like normal. At this point when I fertilize I am putting roughly 1/4 gallon per plant. I don't know of any specific amount of water that you are supposed to put on there but when they tell you the dilution rates, they expect you to give them as much water as you usually do.

I like to give them the 1/4 gallon a piece and then let it rest for a few minutes, then I usually use the hose sprayer and water the whole garden as to drop the fertz down into the root zone. That's just me. I'm sure you will get a lot of different answers.

As for foliar feeding goes (spraying them on the plants themselves) You just spray them down until the water runs off. Also you want to spray the undersides of the leaves as they have more stomata then the top of the leaves (the part of the leave that takes in the nutes) watering and foliar feeding should be done either in the early morning or later in the day. At this point there are more stomata open to receive the nutrients. Here are a few articles that I found really helpful and interesting. Do what you will with them.

http://www.teravita.com/Humates/Chapter2.htm

http://www.microbeorganics.com/

Good luck! Hope this helps.

IMHO, it really depends on your soil composition.
If you already have good soil, it is easier to burn your poor plants. Foliar feeding is a really good way to test, as it is much easier to flush if you over do it, and over time you can fine tune the mix to make up for what your specific growing area is short of just by observing your plants and noting their condition.

When I lived in PA I asked the local farmers(my Uncle and Grand Father), same down here I talked to some local nursery people. The locals know the soil best

Man I got alot to learn, you have to be a chemist to grow some peppers, lol. Okay thanks for the replies, I'm gonna go with the trial and error thing and try to take some notes in my book. I'll start off slow maybe a 1/4 gallon to each plant once a week. Then note the results. After reading around on this site I did mix my own soil and I planted 3 trindad scorps in this soil 2 weeks later than I previously planted and they are doing better than in just regular topsoil, I can only imagine how they will be with some emulsion solution. I guess everyone on this site always wants to improve and have healthier peppers, thanks for the tips. Keep them coming if yall have anymore!!

Man I got alot to learn, you have to be a chemist to grow some peppers, lol.

Keep them coming if yall have anymore!!

'Man I got alot to learn, you have to be a chemist to grow some peppers, lol. "

NO way just use MaxiBloom, the ONLY fertilizer I use. This one fertilizer is all you need for chilli production.

MaxiBloom_1kg-pouch-250.jpg

Man o man.....read this http://www.teravita.com/Humates/Chapter10.htm

Think twice about these chemical fertz in the soil. I'm moving towards organic as fast as I can.

Whoops, wrong link (that one is still a really good read too) let me find the right one.

Here we go. Hope this opens the eyes a little. I know it did for me.

Man o man.....read this http://www.teravita....s/Chapter10.htm

Think twice about these chemical fertz in the soil. I'm moving towards organic as fast as I can.

Whoops, wrong link (that one is still a really good read too) let me find the right one.

Here we go. Hope this opens the eyes a little. I know it did for me.

O wait, were we talking container culture or in ground? In ground it is good to grow organic and worry about those microorganisms, in container culture synthetics work much easier... Those micro colonies function based on soil temp and other conditions and are inconsistant in container culture. In fact, many container gardeners that have ornamental trees in containers for long periods realize synthetics are the most effective way. The micro life in the soil breaks down food for the plant from the organics, at the same time they break down the structure of the grow media thus decreasing air porosity. Also, growing in a high air porosity media organically would be a up hill battle as the macropores in the high air porosity grow media would not work as they need a lot of fine particals to colonize.

"One of the drawbacks of organic crop production vs. standard hydroponic fertilizer is that the majority of nutrients are not immediately available to the plant. This makes it very difficult to monitor and regulate concentration and ratios of elements available to the plant. If using premium hydroponic fertilizers, the vast majority of nutrients are immediately available in precise and measurable values. As a result, healthy vigorous plants can reach their genetic potential which includes characteristics such as taste and flavor. Plants do not differentiate the nutrients they absorb resulting from hydroponic or organic nutrient solutions. For example, nitrogen is typically available as NO[sub]3[/sub]- or NH[sub]4[/sub]+. It does not matter to the plant whether it came from guano or bottled nutrient. "

http://www.simplyhyd...aste_better.htm

O wait, were we talking container culture or in ground? In ground it is good to grow organic and worry about those microorganisms, in container culture synthetics work much easier... Those micro colonies function based on soil temp and other conditions and are inconsistant in container culture. In fact, many container gardeners that have ornamental trees in containers for long periods realize synthetics are the most effective way. The micro life in the soil breaks down food for the plant from the organics, at the same time they break down the structure of the grow media thus decreasing air porosity. Also, growing in a high air porosity media organically would be a up hill battle as the macropores in the high air porosity grow media would not work as they need a lot of fine particals to colonize.

"One of the drawbacks of organic crop production vs. standard hydroponic fertilizer is that the majority of nutrients are not immediately available to the plant. This makes it very difficult to monitor and regulate concentration and ratios of elements available to the plant. If using premium hydroponic fertilizers, the vast majority of nutrients are immediately available in precise and measurable values. As a result, healthy vigorous plants can reach their genetic potential which includes characteristics such as taste and flavor. Plants do not differentiate the nutrients they absorb resulting from hydroponic or organic nutrient solutions. For example, nitrogen is typically available as NO[sub]3[/sub]- or NH[sub]4[/sub]+. It does not matter to the plant whether it came from guano or bottled nutrient. "

http://www.simplyhyd...aste_better.htm

It doesn't matter to the plant....but it matters to the food web. The difference between organic matter and chemical fertilizers is that the chemical fertilizers bypass the whole process of the food web and get sucked up straight into the system of the plant. The plant does not need to release carbon for the beneficial bacteria to eat and then poop out inorganic material for the plant to feed on. That's the life cycle. If the plant doesn't need to do this anymore due to chemical fertilizers then the food web around it will die.

If you were only to plant in containers. I would never use seed from it. As feeding that way eventually changes the genetics of the plant and how it works. I just say away with it and stick to the way the earth intended it. Go check out PepperGuru's glog and see the results you can get from all organic. I haven't seen nicer plants on this site. He container gardens too.....

Back