• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

few growing questionsss

1. how long does it take from seedling to ripe pod? ive seen 90 days from transplant to ripe pod and then ive seen 90 days from unripe pod to ripe pod!?

2.whats the lowest temp chili's can grow in. because here in sydney, aus the temp in winter drops at its lowest to about 5 celsius?
thanks
greg

edit: oh and new avatar=] got it off google

Looking things up I'd say go between 70-100 days after transplanting for ripe pods, I've seen varieties that take longer and some "early" varieties that are shorter. It would also depend on what stage you transplant your chillis on, I've seen people leave chillis in tiny pots until they're far to big for their house and others that have a tiny plant in a large pot.

bhuttt said:
1. how long does it take from seedling to ripe pod? ive seen 90 days from transplant to ripe pod and then ive seen 90 days from unripe pod to ripe pod!?

It really depends on the variety. Some people who sell seeds divide the plants up into early season, mid-season, late season, and very late season.

2.whats the lowest temp chili's can grow in. because here in sydney, aus the temp in winter drops at its lowest to about 5 celsius?
thanks

If it's getting below 10C (50 F) at night, the plants are going to start to suffer. Some have more cold hardiness than others, but all will slow down production. You'll get leaf yellowing and leaf drop. The colder it gets at night, the more tha plants are going to suffer. If it gets below freezing, the parts above ground will get nipped and die, starting at the top on bushy plants.

You can nurse them through a few frosts or below freezing nights nights by wrapping them in blankets, but it's long periods of very cool temperatures that really wreak havoc with them. I ended up cutting back most of the peppers in the hoop house almost to teh ground. The Cherry Chocolate, the Trinidad Seasoning, and the Pilange were the only tall plants that I didn't have to cut back; and the Trinidad Seasoning plants lost all its leaves. I was about to cut it back when I noticed that it was sprouting.

All good answers, but I'd say the stage at which transplanted has the most bearing.

I have some plants that will be transplanted next month and have flowers already. I have a feeling that their time to ripe will be shorter than a 2inch seedling of the same type would be.

Back