• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Few questions left unanswered.

I live in Central Europe. Temperatures this summer hit approx 35°C in July and August, similar to last year. I have all my peppers planted in big containers, away from the rain. Last year this time of the year I already had few harvests behind, at least 10 peppers from each plant. This year - nothing. Plants are full of pods, but they havent turned red yet, at least not to the same extent as last year. Here and there every few days a pod or two turn orange, but that's it. Even the leaves are turning yellow much earlier this year than last year. Since last week temperatures in the morning hit 7°C, and in the afternoon around 15-21°C. I harvest orange peppers every few day and let them ripen off the plant. Last year I had problems with too high temperatures, so a lot of blossoms dropped, but after I moved my plants to half shade environment, they did great.

I have my carolina reaper plant which I overwintered from last year. It's full of pods. All green, not one has turned orange yet, let alone red. As I remember the pods are more than 1-2 months old, but not a single one started to ripen. Last year in August I could already harvest a few dozen of them. 

The only plants that are doing "OK" are my Orange Habanero, Yellow bhut and something which hopefully you will help me identify (should be Peach tiger).
(I also have habanero red savina, carolina reaper, reaper yellow, habanero chocolate... but they're just not ripening). Apart from the Yellow bhut and Carolina reaper, all of them were planted in february, and moved outside in Mid May.

My first question is: anyone knows what could be delaying the ripening of the pods? Weather perhaps? 

I noticed on some of my habaneros that started to ripen some "soft" spots which are not as smooth as the rest of the pod. What could be the cause? Picture here:

FJL8Igl.jpg

Also, what are those chillies? I bought the seeds sold as "Peach tiger"

vpuu5qs.jpg

qRzZI8l.jpg

Also, my Carolina reaper pods have started turning black on top of the pod:

w1YCTqk.jpg

Would love to hear your opinions! Thanks in advance

mtj said:

Thanks! I actually wanted to avoid posting such huge pictures, so I pasted links instead. I fixed it anyway, thanks! :)

Using this method the THP forum "sizes" the pix to fit the posting block it's in. 

Great looking peppers by the way!

I'm going to guess that the Peach Tiger is some sort of variant of the Pink Tiger line. Which is Pimenta de neyde x Bhut jolokia. Look at this thread from 4 years ago http://thehotpepper.com/topic/56531-pink-tiger-history/

In my experience the reapers can simply just take forever to ripen. They work at their own pace and it can be frustratingly difficult to have patience.

sirex said:
I'm going to guess that the Peach Tiger is some sort of variant of the Pink Tiger line. Which is Pimenta de neyde x Bhut jolokia. Look at this thread from 4 years ago http://thehotpepper.com/topic/56531-pink-tiger-history/

In my experience the reapers can simply just take forever to ripen. They work at their own pace and it can be frustratingly difficult to have patience.

You are correct. Peach Tiger is a cross between Pink Tiger and 7 Pot BBG Mamp. 

This year it seems my reapers are taking even longer than last year. It's crazy. Think I'll move them inside where it's constant 15°C as opposed to leaving them outside where temperatures vary from 5°C - 16°C.

Powelly said:
What is the humidity like? If it's a bit dry then you can give them a mist in the morning and evening
It's been pretty humid all summer. Now it's pretty much raining every day but I keep them outside under the roof... 

In response to your question about the tigers and "What are these I bought the seeds as peach tiger?"

In my experience with the tiger peppers having grown Pink as well as another variant: color and striping seem to vary amongst growers even with the same seed source. I would say that from the bleeding calyx it is crossed with a BBG because I've never experienced that with my pink tigers.

As far as the reapers go, if that black spot isn't mushy it's probably sun scald.

Back